DVD Ripping

Intoxicated

Ok, so my new laptop has a dvd burner on it, sorta cool. only problem with that is, windows media doesnt rip dvds (gee, i wonder why). so i was wondering what to use to rip and burn dvds, any help is greatly appreciated.

-tox

Werbung:

EMA

you know something...my boyfriend has something he uses but i can't remember what its called...

but when i see him when he gets off of work i'll let you know...mk?

Werbung:

Crisis

No you can't, however I can provide everything you need.

For reference, it's not illegal to make copies of your DVD's for backup or personal private use.

What is illegal is disabeling the copyright and/or encryption protection on a DVD. That's what 321 Studios got sued for, and what companies tried to sue the makes of the Kelidescope for.

Any DVD produced by a mjor compnay now, has a track stating that it is copyrighted as well as having one of several forums of encryption on the VOB (media) files.

Note that a DVD-R holds 4.3gigs of data (non dual-layer) while DVD you buy from BestBuy will hold around 12gigs. The best way to copy a DVD so it can be burned to a DVD-R is through 3 programs. The Patin-Caufin driver for you DVD-ROM, DVD43 (on the fly decryption), and DVD Shrink.

DVD Shrink will allow you to copy an entire DVD to one DVD-R by compressing the video. The quality when copying say, Gladiator with all the options is like a good DivX ripp. However, with DVD Shrink you can remove some features or just do the audio and video.
For example if I were to do this, I would remove subtitles I didn't need, and any audio track other than the 5.1 or DTS. The reason is that by removing this other content, you free up more space for the video file, so it's less compressed, so it's higher quality.

Using a 4x DVD-/+RW drive and a 16x DVD-ROM you can copy a DVD in around 25 minutes. But for better quality you should rip the DVD to a HD instead of copying on the fly.

Anything that does on the fly video compression requires a lot of CPU dedication. If you screw around while copying one, you can end up with artifacts while playing your DVD-R in a set-top DVD player. Also, the quality of the DVD playback will always be best on the drive it was created on.

(Note: Removing Region encoding is also a no-no, but it's not really that important)