FPS trouble

nubsta

I've had this problem for a while, but no one can get to the bottom of it.
I have a NVidia GeForce FX ..I forget model number/name, I can't check cuz I'm at school atm, but it's decent. Not an old model, but not a new one.
When I was building my PC, I tested the vid card right away by installing steam + CS/CZ first, and played in a few servers. I was having OpenGL problems, and the new drivers weren't helping, but a friend helped me tweak the settings and I could play OpenGL the second day of the PC's birth. And I was getting an easy fps of 100 constant, and I was happy. Over the first week, I started to install musts like AIM, firefox, other PC games, etc. And while I was adding new programs, the fps would waver from 100 to 80, but I didn't put any mind into it. But like 2 or 3 weeks later, it was getting REALLY bad. Like, it would drop down to 30s and hover over 60, but it wouldn't go above 60 anymore. A month later, somehow, the fps jus sits at 60, doesn't move.
Someone, I forget who, told me some command in console, and it did some check and it said I could hit up to 130 fps, but it won't. XD
My cl_updaterate is at 30. I tried higher, but my ms jus goes up and no FPS difference. my fps_max is at 100..Erm..Yeah.
I thought it was that my PC was moving too slow, cuz at the time I was working with 512 mb RAM. But I jus put in another 512 stick a weekend ago and now it's at 1gig, but still no FPS change. x.x
Someone else with a GeForce had the same problem as I, he used to have 100 easy, and now he's stuck at 60 and can't fix it.
I might switch to ATI vid card cuz people with ATI models say they still have 100 fps when they play, but I'm broke right now and hoping there's a chance I could fix the one I have right now.

Help!! =( =(

Werbung:

CrisisVT

Alright, quick question: Do you have V-Synch enabled or disabled in both the video card advanced properties settings & in CS?

Also, I'm running a 7800GT and get 60FPS despite raising my FPS_MAX to 120. I'm not worried about it, since constant 60FPS no matter what settings I use gives me fluid motion, no physics problems, etc.. Since it's been awhile since I played CZ I though a Steam update may have limited FPS to 60 in order to control FPS physics hacks.

I play CZ at these settings:
In-Game Resolution: 1280x1024
Anti-Aliasing: 4x
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Image Settings: High quality
V-synch: Off

CuRRyINaHuRRy

CrisisVT said:
Alright, quick question: Do you have V-Synch enabled or disabled in both the video card advanced properties settings & in CS?

Also, I'm running a 7800GT and get 60FPS despite raising my FPS_MAX to 120. I'm not worried about it, since constant 60FPS no matter what settings I use gives me fluid motion, no physics problems, etc.. Since it's been awhile since I played CZ I though a Steam update may have limited FPS to 60 in order to control FPS physics hacks.

CZ with AF and AA: lawl. I play on 1920 X 1600 and I dont think I would notice any difference if I turned on AA and AF :=P

imported_SuXoR

CrisisVT said:

Do you set those in your opengl settings in windows, in game, console etc? I have never seen the those options in the video settings in game. They should be available to me.

I have 7900gt with 84.20 drivers from guru3d

CrisisVT

To get those setting do the following:

+Right-Click anywhere on your windows desktop (excluding on icons), and select Properties.

+In the Display Properties window go to the Settings tab and click the button labeled Advanced.

+In the advanced properties window, click on the tab marked GeForce-insert card number-

+At this point a side window should expand out and you should see a section for Performance & quality Settings. This is where you can create game profiles and set the AA, AS, etc...

If you play multiple video games on you PC, I would recommend creating Game Profiles. A profile will load certain settings when a particular exe is launched. For example I have one for czero.exe and a different one for F.E.A.R.

Werbung: