Hello Warcraft III Anvil Members & Admins

Undead_Lives

If your IQ is so great, why don't you think about this logically.
Older. Learn more. Reasoning skills increase. Problem solving skills increase. Use of logic increases.
That's why age is a factor.

Interestingly enough, I once read this book called "Adolescence". Needless to say, it was about teenagers. In the book it showed the stages of increasing brain use and the things I highlighted.
The only time your IQ really counts is when you're and adult.

Werbung:

Fladian

Of course a question remains, how useful is IQ actually? It doesn't really resemble anything in specific. I mean, I could do an IQ test right now and score quite badly on it. However, I could also do yet another IQ test several days later and score extremely high instead, which both wouldn't be surprising results. What would this mean? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It happens quite often that people's mind aren't very consistent. Especially those IQ tests that aren't confirmed by any kind of organisation.

But despite that I like to reply with more information than I gave now, I really don't have the time, as I am currently in class. :p

Jupackazoin

Hmmm. I've never done an IQ test, I have no idea what I would get. But I have to agree with Fladian, they are kind of useless, unless your a wopping genious and get like 350 or something, there isn't much point with them except to brag about your score to your mates. I guess I've got nothing to brag about then :)

Fladian

Schools tend to make use of IQ tests, Jupackazoin. They usually give the students something very similar to an IQ test to see if they are capable of following everything that is being educated on that school. If a student scores far lower than the average, the chance is extremely likely that the student will not be accepted on the school and a 'special' school is recommended, which is not always a bad thing.

I've done two different of such tests in all my years of college now, as I mentioned before. Despite doing my best on the first, I pretty much ignored the second one. In all honestly, I can't remember much about the first one, but the second (which was not too long ago) went quite smoothly except for the math and calculations questions, which I am unfortunately quite weak at. I score higher than the average on the test itself but the personality they tested didn't seem to be very accurate. Later on I heard from a good friend that her personality test wasn't very accurate either. "According to to that test, I'm not very friendly and I hate working together," was the result of a friend of mine (and it was the Quote of the Day from the 10th of June)

Besides schools, there are also numerous of organisations and companies that demand that you take such a test before they are going to hire you. In this case you must mostly think of work which mistakes can be crucial if not fatal.

In both situations I mentioned, an off day from the mind can both play a role, but because of the way the tests are formatted, it is unlikely that you can have an off day. In the general schools case it usually end up with quite simple questions and they just test you on logical thinking (with specialized schools as exception). At those organisations and companies I mentioned, they mostly force you to think constantly. If you are unable to score decently then it means you are not constant enough or simply not good enough. Eitherway, it is not acceptable. At specialty schools (Which is called University here, but numerous of other countries also have Universities but with a different meaning; what I mean is the highest level of school available after choosing (and graduating) from a specific study course; I am in College, which is optional after high school) you will (often) gain a test that will decide if you are good enough for that school. However, if you score lower than the average (or simply not high enough) then you (probably) won't get a recommendation because they are not searching for students to enter the school.

Those would be uses of IQ tests.

PiRho

I've never had a school ask me to take an IQ test, so I've never taken one. I'm honestly not sure how well they reflect a person's mental prowess, but I'm sure it probably serves as at least a vague indicator. (assuming the IQ exam itself is accurate)

Squishy-1

yeah yo do get smarter as you grow older hence your value is decreased iq isnt really how smart you are its how smart you are for your age and think about it other then a late start in college you learn pretty much nothing new after your 25 as long as an iq test is an acurate test it is a good indication of your knowledge

adults dont have better problem solving skills (logically) whoever has the capability to understand more has the best problem solving skills which iq tests mainly find out

you might recall a question like
if a mung is a dung, and a dung is a lung then a mung is a lung
1) true
2) false
the answer would be false because you can replace the words with
if a square is a rectangle and a rectangle is a quadrilateral but a quadrilateral isnt a square
i was sitting next to my math teacher while she was taking an iq test online and she missed one similar to that... and she went through college

not only that your age decreases the ammount of your test which MAKES your score equal to what it was of the past unless you have miraculassly got less smart or smarter

Undead_Lives

I don't think many employers would use an IQ test, that'd probably be seen as discriminatory...........or something like that.
As for the "special schools", ah, screw 'em :p

Fladian

yeah yo do get smarter as you grow older hence your value is decreased iq isnt really how smart you are its how smart you are for your age
I guess that might be true, yet somehow I still doubt it.

and think about it other then a late start in college you learn pretty much nothing new after your 25
This is false and you know it. I am still learning something new everyday related to nearly every possible subject and I am pretty sure most people around me as well. Only several hours today did I discuss something similar to this an to a 28-year old friend.

adults dont have better problem solving skills (logically) whoever has the capability to understand more has the best problem solving skills which iq tests mainly find out
I'm afraid you're wrong here too, Squishy. When you mature, your ability to think logically (and often have a more realistic view on things) increases dramatically. When I was younger, I was taught by someone (I cannot recall who it was) to know a bit about everything so it should rarely happen that I stand clueless about something. But a lot is also based on common knowledge, something I spoke about not too long ago on this forum as I recall.

you might recall a question like
if a mung is a dung, and a dung is a lung then a mung is a lung
1) true
2) false
the answer would be false because you can replace the words with
if a square is a rectangle and a rectangle is a quadrilateral but a quadrilateral isnt a square
Uh... what? Not only don't I understand the statement (I don't know what a mung or a dung is), but I am not too sure about the explanation about it either.

i was sitting next to my math teacher while she was taking an iq test online and she missed one similar to that... and she went through college
That doesn't mean anything, Squishy. It happens to everyone that they miss a simple question from time to time. I am embarrassingly weak in calculating things without a paper or any kind of machine/computer and not very good with names either. You can give me a 7+5 question and I need at least five to ten seconds to figure out what the answer is (truly, it's embarrassing), with names I am in a similar situation - about a year ago I found a way to remember names more easily though; I never have been good with calculations, but that is quite common with people, I'm just very slow.
My brother went through college as well, but I can answer numerous of questions which he can't. Does this mean that I am smarter than my brother? No, far from it. If he would make an IQ test I am sure I could pick numerous of mistakes he would make, but he will be able to do so with me too (and probably more than I would find with him for multiple reasons).
That you are able to find a mistake from your teacher is something that really isn't too special, Squishy. This doesn't mean anything.

Jupackazoin

Yeah, I've never taken an Iq test at school, down here they don't do that, everybody goes to school and if you don't do well or are struggling then they pay more attention to you.
University is also the highest form of education here, TAFE is similar to your college, it's more of a hands on get you job after you finish kind of thing, where as uni is where you go to fill your brain with so much information you feel like your going to explode after every semester.
I agree with Fladian, Squishy, you don't stop learning after 25. So many people are in University studying their hearts out and they are over that age, so I'd say you keep learning until you are mentally unable. Eg. Become disabled or die.
I've gone through high school and TAFE, I am now a university student, and I'm pretty sure I won't get a high score on an IQ test.
I recently had a bit of fun with my father-in-law-to-be-very-soon, I went to his work and sat a test kind of thing, it had three different sections, logic, math and writing. It was timed, and you basically just answer the questions as best you can, but because it was timed you make mistakes because your worried about the time limit. I did well on two of them but the math was not the best, nor the worst, after looking at a few of the answers I gave I kind of cringed, easy questions to answer, yet I still gave the wrong ones :)

Undead_Lives

People never stop learning. Take, for instance, the all popular class, Social Studies.
The class is based on world events (usually localized to a degree). You are constantly learning about new world events.
Also, how do you think scientists at age 40 come up with theories that get proven? The experiment, learn, and figure something out.
An simple answer - you learn new words all the time. Increases your vocabulary.
There are thousands of things to learn about. You never EVER stop learning.

Fladian

Yeah, I've never taken an Iq test at school, down here they don't do that, everybody goes to school and if you don't do well or are struggling then they pay more attention to you.
Well, that's a tad different here, because the school I am in, as example, does not need more students than they already have, they are not worried of refusing to let someone in. You'll have to come around the average results of a particular test. It is something similar as an IQ test, only much more easier because it is not specifically looking at your IQ but mostly if you are able to handle the stuff they are going to learn you.

University is also the highest form of education here, TAFE is similar to your college, it's more of a hands on get you job after you finish kind of thing, where as uni is where you go to fill your brain with so much information you feel like your going to explode after every semester.
Well, I don't have too much knowledge of university, as I am currently not a student of it. I'm still in college, after all - and am still far from graduating. However, I do know that University here is completely optional to do, but it is quite hard to get in as they only have a number of places available. When they are full, well, then it is your problem, not theirs. Anyway, you'll probably know more about it than me. =)

As for the time limit you mentioned, that is a problem many people are being bothered with. You'll immediately force yourself to work faster but this (often) forces you to make more mistakes as well because you are unable to think rationally on several answers. Despite that I am able to perform well under pressure, it remains a fact that you will always make more mistakes. You simply need to use time to think.

People never stop learning. Take, for instance, the all popular class, Social Studies.
The class is based on world events (usually localized to a degree). You are constantly learning about new world events.
Of course, of course, stupid that it didn't come to mind when I said it.

An simple answer - you learn new words all the time. Increases your vocabulary.
There are thousands of things to learn about. You never EVER stop learning.
I can mention something about this. I started learning English when I was still very young but I always had a thing for something that would expose my creativity. First that went into drawing, but later transformed into writing which I could express my feelings better in. Nowadays, I still do something similar. Because I could not create a sense of excitement in my first language in stories, I slowly started to write in English. More than ten years has passed since I remember that I write in English and I only keep improving. I am not sure how old people are currently guessing me, but I am still improving rapidly in both my English, Dutch and anything else, not necessarily related to languages. Take a story of mine as example, 'if, and only if' which is a story I wrote more than a year ago and recently started to rewrite. Look at the huge difference between them.

i didnt mean stop learning but surely you learn an extreme ammount more when you are beig taught then in everday life
Yes, of course, that's logical. A five month old baby learns more than a sixty year old man. A glass gets more wet when it's dry than half soaked. That's common knowledge.

Jupackazoin

However, I do know that University here is completely optional to do, but it is quite hard to get in as they only have a number of places available. When they are full, well, then it is your problem, not theirs.
Yes university is hard to get into down here, there are only a few places as well. We have exams that you must sit, they are extremely difficult and cause many students much MUCH stress, if you fail your exams you can't get into uni, and these days you MUST have a good education to get a decent enough job, unless you want to be a grunt in the army, no brains needed there :)
The exams are a pain, you spend year 11 and 12 of high school studying like mad for these once off exams, and if you fail you've just wasted 2 years!! There is an alternative for older people to get into uni, called the STAT test, that is basically more of a logic test, I guess the heads of the uni think you don't need to do an exam because you have 'life experience' :) Feel sorry for the kids ;)

Werbung:

Thanatos_820

If your IQ is so great, why don't you think about this logically.
Older. Learn more. Reasoning skills increase. Problem solving skills increase. Use of logic increases.
That's why age is a factor.

Interestingly enough, I once read this book called "Adolescence". Needless to say, it was about teenagers. In the book it showed the stages of increasing brain use and the things I highlighted.
The only time your IQ really counts is when you're and adult.

Yes, that is true after all :D! Well, the next time I take an IQ test, i'll show it to you all. So, if you don't want me to understand you, use extremely high volcabulary :p. I tend to declipher those hard words in about a few minutes. For example:

Endeavor:
To try (or somewhat similar to it :p)

Blasphemey:
To talk profane of religious or sacred things.

Gloat:
To brag.

Mock:
To make fun of.

Well, I'll come back tommorow.