New Wii Service Policy with Firmware Update

jesta

A recent spate of firmware updates trying to stop the Homebrew Channel has finally ended up with a change of the Wii Network Service Privacy Policy. It gives details how your Wii may now download updates without your permission or even without notifying you first.

Old Policy
"To ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, we may download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console. In addition, we may disable unauthorized or illegal software that has been placed on your Wii Console without notifying you where necessary, in order to comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, and prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels."

New Policy
"We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels."
There are also some other changes due to the update, including;

USB keyboard support in the Mii Channel.
Enhanced Parental Controls.
Twilight Hack version 0.1 beta1 can't be copied to the system memory.
Improved SD card read/write speed.
Improved disc reading.

So what does this mean to you? Probably the best thing is the improved speeds of reading and writing to your SD cards. Wii users have already noticed the difference. Instead of taking minutes to copy a WiiWare title to your SD card it can now take mere seconds. If you are a heavy VC or WiiWare buyer this will definitely make you storing of games much easier.

The update also appears to install system files IOS50 and IOS254. The first is a menu file, whereas the other is a copy of an IOS which has stopped another ‘Home-made' application called PatchMii from working. This app was made to replace Nintendo's update process with one that the ‘Homebrewers' had created, so things like this wouldn't happen. WiiBrew think a workaround for PatchMii "should be easy" and considering it only took 2 days to find a fix for the last homebrew-wiping-update, it shouldn't take too long. Only time will tell. But since Nintendo will now update your Wii without asking I can sense an even longer longwinded battle between the Homebrewers and the Big-N to get full control over the console.

Link

Werbung:

Sousanator

Nothing at all useful for me. I'm still at 3.2, the last good firmware.

Even if you don't like 'hacking' your wii, I still recommend anyone that can, to install the homebrew channel(you can still install the new version on this firmware). Even if there's not much right now, you'll never know what lies ahead.

Johnhg7

I have it now and this is kinda freaky. But the hackers can get around anything nintendo will throw at them. And plus, does nintendo really care?

Werbung: