Recording Advice.

MooCowMan

I want to record with as little lag as possible. I use Fraps and the videos turn out perfectly but make me lag while recording. What are some things I can do to reduce that lag? I'm upgrading to 2GB of RAM real soon. New video card? If so whats a good AGP video card (yes.. I know, stuck in the ice age) that I could upgrade to? It has to have dual ports because I have dual monitors. What are some little tweaks I can do to fraps or my computer that wont cost money also?

Specs:
AMD Athalon 1.24GHz processor.
512MB DDR RAM [Soon to be 2GB]
Nvidia FX5200
60GB Hard-drive.
Windows XP Pro SP3

Please and thank you.

Werbung:

Manageris98

OK Seriously if you need to record with Fraps when you are Playing Combat Arms then i think that a good way to fix this is that if you have partitioned off a part of your harddrive then if you installed Fraps to the C:/ Drive then you should make a folder in the partitioned part of your drive if partitioned. After that then change fraps to record half size instead of full size, so it takes less to record. Now change the spot where you save the videos to the new folder that you made in the partitioned part of your hard drive. By doing this it should take the lag off when your recording with fraps because when you do this you take the spot that the videos would go to if it was on C:/ opposed to the partitioned part. Your system and Vista or Xp is on the drvie C:/ so thats taking all the room up and your desktop is on C:/ too so that takes a lot of memery just to do that. By doing this it takes less memory to run fraps when they are saving to the partitioned part of your hard drive opposed to the drive where your system is running takiong up all the memory.

Help i helped

Seawied

Manageris98 said:
OK Seriously if you need to record with Fraps when you are Playing Combat Arms then i think that a good way to fix this is that if you have partitioned off a part of your harddrive then if you installed Fraps to the C:/ Drive then you should make a folder in the partitioned part of your drive if partitioned. After that then change fraps to record half size instead of full size, so it takes less to record. Now change the spot where you save the videos to the new folder that you made in the partitioned part of your hard drive. By doing this it should take the lag off when your recording with fraps because when you do this you take the spot that the videos would go to if it was on C:/ opposed to the partitioned part. Your system and Vista or Xp is on the drvie C:/ so thats taking all the room up and your desktop is on C:/ too so that takes a lot of memery just to do that. By doing this it takes less memory to run fraps when they are saving to the partitioned part of your hard drive opposed to the drive where your system is running takiong up all the memory.

I'm not sure how effective this idea would be. You're still limited to the same write speeds.

I have to be honest though, with your system specs, I'm not sure theres anything you can do other than getting a completely new system to make a decent video. Fraps takes a lot out of your system memory. That athalon is probably a what? 2000 series? Those old AMD processors were begging to be over clocked, so that might help a bit, and the two gigs of ram in this case will be useful. But you're really not going to get that much more power out of that rig

If you get a new system take this into consideration: what most people don't realize is that FRAPS and other in game recording has the biggest bottle neck at the hard drive, NOT the CPU or RAM (although these obviously help).

If you're really serious about having high quality recordings, you need to have a SSD hard drive for its godly write speeds.

MooCowMan

I'm not sure how effective this idea would be. You're still limited to the same write speeds.

I have to be honest though, with your system specs, I'm not sure theres anything you can do other than getting a completely new system to make a decent video. Fraps takes a lot out of your system memory. That athalon is probably a what? 2000 series? Those old AMD processors were begging to be over clocked, so that might help a bit, and the two gigs of ram in this case will be useful. But you're really not going to get that much more power out of that rig

If you get a new system take this into consideration: what most people don't realize is that FRAPS and other in game recording has the biggest bottle neck at the hard drive, NOT the CPU or RAM (although these obviously help).

If you're really serious about having high quality recordings, you need to have a SSD hard drive for its godly write speeds.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that my processor would take overclocking well.

I have a new rig all planned, but no way to fund the build.

Seawied

Thanks. I wasn't aware that my processor would take overclocking well.

I have a new rig all planned, but no way to fund the build.

you kidding? Those athalons were designed to be overclocked. AMDs aren't the OC brand name anymore as they became second rate with the introduction of Intel's Core 2 line. I might recommend a new heatsink and CPU fan though, as an aging stock one will be prone to over heating.

If you look up your CPU's series number, you can probably find a wealth of information on the net on step by step procedures to overclock in case you're worried about shooting yourself in the foot.

MooCowMan

I'm looking through my box of computer parts currently. Found a lot of stuff I didn't realize I had..

I even found more RAM so I could have 1GB.. Not much but better. I think I might want to do a rebuild :D Also found a 160GB 7200RPM hard drive..

Werbung: