RPG Combat System

Captain Griffen

Hello everyone. I am currently developing a turn based combat system for a single player RPG. However, I am doing it so that it will be relatively easy to understand and use, as well as requiring little to no instruction in how to play before a complete novice can play. Obviously, in order to be easy to implement, I will be aiming to make all the specifics in the system, such as cooldowns, abilities, heroes, etc. as easy to change as possible.

First, the combat system itself. I'm using a conditional turn based system (similar to FFX), where each time a unit carries out an action, its custom value is set to a value, divided by the unit's speed value (taken from agility, in the case of a hero, or from the speed over a set amount for a non-hero).

However, where the system really shines is the interface. While most WC3 turn based system tend to rely on multiboards, which are difficult to manipulate, can lag, lack detailed information, and are generally annoying, my system makes use of WC3's interface to seamless blend, by using two players, one for the player, and one for the heroes, with advanced control always given, and units unpaused and normal control given when needed. This means that you can utilise ability tooltips, hero icons at the side clearly displaying health and mana, and easily able to see detailed (or not so detailed but still more descriptive, if desired) information.

Currently, I have implemented the normal attack system for both enemies and the players party, and for implemented support for the usage of WC3's normal hero ability's system, if desired. The party members (which can be both heroes and non-heroes) can currently cast abilities, but non-instant abilities may not work very well, as I have yet to implement the ability system, which will require a simple matter of adding a few variable to an array to implement new abilities, and I am going to implement a system to allow a simple entering of a few numbers into a field on each unit dictate a unit's abilities' levels, and also what abilities the unit has and what bias should be put to it (for AI purposes).

Attached is current progress, with a small test battle (very uninteresting on it's own; merely to test the systems).

Werbung:

Captain Griffen

Well, I think I've pretty much got the player casting system sorted out, aside from one small little snag I've just found out - paused units do not take damage from AoE (DoT?) abilities. Which is very odd. And annoying. Considering possible work arounds now.

Edit: Fixed now, hope to finish off the enemy casting system by the end of today.

Edit 2: Haven't done the enemy casting system, but added in a system where enemy melee attacks cannot attack around the players units. This means you can protect weaker units with stronger ones.

Edit 3: Ought to explain that within a set region, you can move your units around (so long as the point is ground pathable). This takes up a turn, but has a smaller cooldown (proportional to the distance) than most other abilities.

Werbung:

Captain Griffen

Sorry for the double post, but otherwise it doesn't mark it as 'new post', and four edits is pushing it.

Anyway, I've scraped together a quick demo map, including everything I currently plan to include in the system, apart from a small little details and the status effects.