Settings....

Ind3lible

Misranger said:
Maybe this will help..

THE INGREDIENTS:

cl_cmdrate - this should apparently be approximately equal to the FPS you're getting (check netgraph). Too much above or too much below and you'll get choke.
cl_updaterate - you should set this as high as it will go without causing ANY packet loss - if you're getting any loss, that's BAD.
rate - capped at 20000 for online play (25000 at LAN). Setting it too low will cause choke. Setting it too high will cause choke.
ex_interp - the "ideal" is supposed to be 1/cl_updaterate. NEVER set this to zero because CS uses your current cl_updaterate, not the server's. Basically, the higher ex_interp, the smoother play will appear, but true player positions will be less accurate on your screen. Some people prefer to just set this low and leave it there. (0.01)

THE METHOD:

So, to figure out decent settings for you, best thing to do is probably something along the lines of this:
1 ) Turn on netgraph ("net_graph 3" I think is the one you want)

2 ) Start with this:

cl_cmdrate 30
cl_updaterate 40
rate 15000
ex_interp 0.033

3 ) Run around a bit (preferably on a busy server) and take note of your FPS... what you want is you *average* FPS.
4 ) Set cl_cmdrate to that value. E.g. if you're averaging 40 FPS on a busy server, then set cl_cmdrate to 40.

5 ) Run around some more, and see if you experience any choke. If you're getting choke, drop this value by 5. If you're not, increase by 5. Basically - keep doing this for a bit - you want the highest setting you can get before getting any choke / loss. Once you're happy, subtract 5! (safety buffer - and lets us play with the next settings) (max of 101)

6 ) Ok, so we've got our "ideal" cl_cmdrate... let's mess around with the cl_updaterate... Increase your cl_updaterate by 5, then run around some more. If you're not getting choke / loss, add 5. If you are, subtract 5. Basically, find the highest setting for this you can without getting any loss / choke. (max of 101)

7 ) Now that we've got those sorted, change your ex_interp to 1/cl_updaterate - so if your cl_updaterate is 50, you'll use 0.02. If your cl_updaterate is 100, you'll use 0.01. etc. (use a calculator) This value has more to do with the "feel" of the game rather than choke/loss, and some people will tell you to use 0.01 all the time (which is usually the same bunch of people who have decent connections capable of handling cl_updaterate of 100/101 and think they know better - it depends on how much easier you find it playing with a smoothe gameplay vs. a jerky but slightly more accurate one)

8 ) Ok... now you can start mucking about with the rate setting. Start increasing the rate by 500 until you get choke / loss. As soon as you do, decrease it by 500, and voila! You should have a pretty decent game on your hands.

9 ) Hopefully you'll also have a reasonable ping, but your ping, or latency, is actually less important than the rest of the above. Put your trust in the Half-Life server code for client compensation on this one. If you're really worried about your ping, then this is what you need to know: The higher your cl_cmdrate, the higher your ping. So you could try lowering the cl_cmdrate, then repeating steps 5-7 to get your better values for the other netcode (you might find though that you won't get a better cl_updaterate or rate at all). I suggest you forget about ping for an evening and try with the values this little exercise gives you and see how it handles, and only worry about your ping if the feel of the game is still really poo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else to bear in mind... these settings are not only affected by your hardware, but also by the server you're connecting to (and the settings on that server), as well as every bit of network connection between your PC and the server you're playing on. So while one setup might be fantastic on most servers, you might need to tweak things again if you play on a server where you're getting a lot of choke / loss (a slow server or foreign one for example)

:D

Miss

Werbung:

Puppet

Yes, this post from Misranger has been very helpful. I find myself retuning now according to the knowledge I gained from this post. I suggest you all read it twice and apply it.

Puppet

I use a userconfig.cfg file but (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), I don't believe you have to use one. I think if you set a value in console then the next time you play you'll find that same value is set automatically.

{Iceman}

Aurora and cas can justify at how bad this was...

So, i finally started tinkering around the settings the misranger suggested. I just couldn't find anything that worked. I did what mis suggested (fps 60, therefore cl_cmdrate 60) and what happened, choke. I dropped it down, choke, i put it up, choke. So, i go it to be about bearable (around 55), and then I started mucking around with cl_updaterate. Set it to 40 and started going up. No matter what I tried, still getting loss.

Why can't I find the balance? Play started getting really bad in the end, players were jumping on screen and lagg started. What's going on???

My screen is set to 1024x768, with high detail and texture. Should I set it to medium at 800x600? I know I have more than enough to handle CZ, hell, i get better readings in source! Does it have something to do with my renderer (Under video in the options menu, it has renderer with 3 options: D3D, OpenGL, and software, right now it is at OpenGL, is that bad, or good?)

My system is athalon 3000+ 1.8Ghz, 6600 GT 128mb and a gig of ram.

Finally, does anyone know what the original settings were so I could set it back to those (what the default is for CZ before i started mucking around with them).

Thanks for your help, hope I get some good info...

Misranger

Try this see what you get..

cl_updaterate 60
cl_cmdrate 101
ex_interp 0.1

rate 25000 or 9999 if I start getting choke...works for me..:)

and play 800 by 600

in options in game display mode normal open gl

JfFar

from my experiences, I have learned that you should change your cl_cmdrate to whatever the sv_cmdrate. If the server is at 30, or 50, or 100, then that is your max. That is just what I have learned.

Werbung:

Puppet

JfFar said:
from my experiences, I have learned that you should change your cl_cmdrate to whatever the sv_cmdrate. If the server is at 30, or 50, or 100, then that is your max. That is just what I have learned.

And you are correct sir. Punx is set to 30.