Warcraft 4 vs Starcraft 2

Werbung:

MeTaL GuArD

He only looks a bit like the carrier portrait guy. First difference that the carrier one didnt have a mouth, glowed a bit, didnt have any spikes, etc.

MeTaL GuArD

Yes, the choice depends on what you liked more. And on the probability that Blizzard will make the game. :p

(note: my avatar finally fixed, thank god...)

TerranUp16

I hate to break the news... but currently, the next game will most-likely be Diablo 3. Blizzard has already stated their next game will NOT be an RTS, and they have dropped other hints that point directly to Diablo 3.

As for StarCraft Ghost, it was indeed cancelled. Mainly, because the game was not up to par, and it kept getting pushed back and pushed back. It has gotten to the point that releasing it on the current gen systems will be useless. If Blizzard is to release SC Ghost, they must release it on the XBOX 360. They have left open the possibility of reincarnating the game for the nex-gen systems, so we may see it yet again, in yet another form, though I doubt it.

WarCraft IV is very possible, though I doubt you will see that for another 4-5 years. WarCraft IV will most-likely hark back to the first Burning Legion invasion, during the time when Azeroth (the world) was ruled by Night Elves. Another possible area would be the Troll Wars. Either way, WCIV would most-likely be a prequel of some sort.

I'd definitely say that StarCraft 2 will be their next RTS game. I am not certain what they are waiting for. I'm guessing that they are either awaiting further technological innovation, or are waiting for the time to be ripe. Either way, they'd be fools not to make StarCraft 2. Remember that SC has sold over 15 million copies (2.5x as many as WoW, and also remember that SC was released at a time when far fewer people played video games). Yes, WoW may be more of a money-maker, but SC will definitely bring in a large sum of mula, and will keep Blizzard in high regards.

However, SC2 faces many challanges. The largest of those is innovation. In the time since SC was released, a great deal has changed in the RTS world. Hell, even since WC3, a great deal has changed. And yet still a great deal continues to change. Supreme Commander and Company of Heroes will be the instruments of some of the greatest change that the RTS genre has yet to see. The question is this- how will Blizzard cope? All Blizzard RTS games are fairly traditional in style. GTW is doing its part to bring WC3 to the next level, and perhaps, hopefully, Blizzard will take something from GTW's design and be able to utilize it in SC2.

It has come to the point where when one speaks of SC2, one must ask oneself many questions- Will Marines come in squads now? What will heroes be like? Will we be able to command thousands of Zerglings? Will there be some sort of war mode, that encompasses multiple maps? The first question is an ode to both Dawn of War and Company of Heroes. The second is actually an ode to WC3. The third is an ode to Supreme Commander. The last is an ode to multiple modern RTS games. Many RTS games are following the path of the Total War series. Perhaps the biggest question is this- Will SC2 follow in the path of Company of Heroes or Suprme Commander? Or will it blaze its own path?

Storyline-wise, SC2 has much more flexibility than WC. SC2 could hark back to the days before the Zerg invasion, but I doubt this. Why? Because one of the main reasons for StarCraft's success was its diverse, yet balanced factions. Going before the Zerg invasion offers only humans against humans, and while one can get some fairly diverse stuff from humans, it will feel hollow in comparison to the first SC. Sc2 will most-likely pick up where SC left off. The Terrans and Protoss are recovering, and the Zerg are sitting on the throne, securing their power, and readying to finish the Terrans and Zerg. The Hybrids will come in, and a large war between the Zerg and Hybrids will be the main focus of the first campaign, of this one can be certain. Beyond that, it gets rather foggy. Will the UED return, and this time with some of its own technology (funny how the UED also has Battlecruisers, yet they've been millions of light-years away from the Terrans, and have developed at a different, and most-likely faster, pace than the Terran colonists; why faster? They have remained a single, mostly united government in the time when the Terrans had to build an empire out of almost nothing; the UED had a giant head-start, and all indications were that their process of learning would progress faster than that of the Terrans, giving them what should be a massive technological advantage). Will the Xel'Naga unexpectedly reappear? Have the Xel'Naga created some other sort of race that is, as-of-yet, unknown to us?

I'd expect Blizzard to come back with the Hybrids and at least one other race, possibly two.

However, there is another route entirely that Blizzard may take. Blizzard may choose to simply update the original SC. I don't mean like PR. Rather, a full update and overhaul of SC, modernizing it in much the way that GTW is modernizing WC3. A full graphical overhaul, to bring the graphics to modern times, far beyond those of PR. A physics engine. A streamlined interface. Some overall upgrades. Perhaps a few new units as well, but still keeping the core game and the same storyline. This would pave the way for a real SC2 to be released after this.

Blizzard has many options, and I fully expect them to exploit one of them. I doubt we will see a new franchise from Blizzard. They have three very strong franchises to choose from, with strong fan bases already established.

Alekill

umm it takes like alot of time to travel through space so wouldnt like the UED coming with battle ships say if they left about 500 years after the prison ships left this would say the UED is at battle cruisers but it tkaes them 500 years to get to the prision ship so the terrons have 500 years to get to prison ships and remember that they have the prison ships to base some tech of off so the UED having battle cruisers makes sense to me

Xeridanus

it says somewhere in the official documentation that comes with the game that the UED have been watching the "terrans" and decided that their technology was the best for the situation. (remember the terrans had to invent it all from scratch) but they (UED) also added a few improvements. for instance the medics... which increases the average battle-life-expectancy of a marine to 9 secs. now thats impressive. as for getting to the terrans so fast... maybe thats what they've been working on.

TerranUp16

Ach, I didn't get the official documentation that came w/Brood War n/c I got the combo pack. If anyone knows where I can find a scanned manual for Brood War, I'd be amazingly appreciative.

Anyway, it definitely doesn't take 500 years, as the UED force knew about the Zerg when they went in, as well as the change in regime. That change in regime is actually why they chose then to strike. Well, partly. They also wanted to enslave the Overmind and rule the galaxy. So, the force was sent with knowledge of the Zerg.

Xeridanus

i would give you a scanned copy except for a few minor complications. namely: i still have two exams to study for, one of which im not very confidant about, secondly, the "manual" is just an insert that goes in the front of the cd case with disrciptions of the new units and a small section on the history of the UED, not like the one that came with the original game. last, i don't know where my copy is :/ .

Werbung: