World hip-hop questions US rap

Werbung:

psychonaut13

Chee Malabar said:
"It's easier for Americans to buy into that than it is to look in the mirror and say, 'some of the social policies and institutional hierarchies are messed up'.

Tool said:
All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

SamSeed

No offense, but its not really acurate. Ive been listening to "Rap" since Blonde, GrandMaster Flash and the Furious five, KRS-One (BDP), etc.. Shit, i remember when they didnt even let rappers into the Grammys.

There are still alot of MC's out there who still speak about politics (Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def) but they arent "main stream". I think it reflects more on the current state of society then the "artists" who create the albums. What sells is the guns, girls, drugs and money. So what does that say about the people who buy them? And to defend some of the Rappers who do sell their albums with regards to "gang life", etc..; some of the best rappers ever only new that life and them speaking about it made a lot of us appreciate the goods and bads we had gone through in our own life.

Dont get me wrong, there is alot of crap out there. I just think its becoming a bigger issue now because it has crossed over into the the "main stream upper class/white" society.

I remember hearing my friends mothers or fathers back in the day screaming "what are you listening to that black/ghetto music". Now there are many white rappers speaking about the same: sex, money, and drugs.

Rap is poetry whether people want to realize it or not. Like everything else, there is good and bad. Its a way for people to let others know what is going on in their class/culture. It just happens that the media focuses on the bad. There was even an article during the riots in France claiming it was because of rap. The origins of Rap is from the ghetto and will always reflect such.

Quick Quiz..

1.) Anyone know what the number 1 selling rap single ever is?

ICE ICE BABY! LOL

blze

hmm, i think your second paragraph is exactly what the article said. maybe i misinterpretted it, i am in a zone today (see other thread "Mondays...") either way, i like your take on it.

Werbung: