WOW!! (Soccer related)

slick

ACN: Côte d'Ivoire beat Cameroon after 24 penalties
Written by: Jonathan Roorda
African Cup of Nations 2006CAIRO, Feb 4 (SW) - Côte d'Ivoire are through to the semi finals of the African Cup of Nations following an incredible penalty shootout with Cameroon. No less than 24 spotkicks were required to decide the match.

No goals were scored during regular time, in a match of few chances. The best chance in the first half was for Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o, but his strike was saved by goalkeeper Jean-Jacques Tizie.

Only two minutes had passed in extra time however when Côte d'Ivoire took the lead. A striker from Arouna Kone hit the crossbar and namesake Bakari Kone stood in the right place to score from the rebound.

But Cameroon applied immediate pressure as Albert Ze Meyong of Belenenses received a pass from Daniel Ngom and put the bal past Tizie.

An amazing penalty shootout had all eleven players score. Alioum Saidou appeared to have missed Cameroon's 8th penalty but Moroccan referee Mohamed Guezzaz saw goalkeeper Tizie coming off his line too early, and the player did score the second time.

After both goalies had converted their side's 11th penalties, Barcelona striker and tournament topscorer Samuel Eto'o stepped up for his second, and struck well over the crossbar.

Chelsea's Didier Drogba did score his second penalty and led Côte d'Ivoire to the semi finals, in which they will face Nigeria on Tuesday.

Werbung:

Deviant

In semi's I saw the best shootout of my life. I think it was 8 shooters on each side and we won the shootout 4-3, every shot that didn't score the goalies saved...never seen so many PKs saved.

Werbung: