A Bit of a Reintroduction

TerranUp16

Well... It's been awhile, that's for certain. But it's great to see Anvil back up and running (whether it's Anvil anymore or not). Back in the Anvil days, I was the lead designer of the Great Troll War Modification for WarCraft III. As you may have keenly surmised, that project exists no longer. Instead, Wartide stands in its place, having arisen from a prime opportunity and possessing a little under half of the GTW team. Wartide ultimately offers a superior project and, despite its vastly greater complexity, also has a much better chance of reaching completion (it suffices to say- it WILL reach completion).

So, yes, GTW exists no longer but Wartide thrives, and that basically constitutes my reintroduction, xD

Werbung:

edwinfong25

well, that sounds interesting

personally, i've never known much about the Great Troll War modification, lol
(mind you, i had heard of it a few times, but still very little)

well, i wish you the best of luck in completing Wartide :)
and i'd suppose that if i can help in any way, i'll see what i can do, lol

Arkidas

Welcome back. It'll be good fun to see how this project turns out as there are not too many that do. Furthermore, I'm happy to see another member posting and hope that you'll continue to do so. Good luck with your project :).

Fladian

I really should stop being surprised when I see the name 'Edwin', it's just a name I learned to respond to over the years... *mumbles*

Welcome again, Terran. It's been a while since I've seen you around.

edwinfong25

hehe, idk...
it seems a bit intimidating seeing what others have posted, lol
i'll think about posting an application... but i doubt that i'd be quite as much help as the others, lol
(essentially, my favorite part of warcraft map editing is triggering, and i've pretty much just begun to have a good grasp on Jass, so yeah... lol)
so, essentially, i think that you can pretty much figure how much help i'd be... (or won't be, lol)

lol, Fladian, well, i've gotten used to responding to that name too (seeing as it IS my name, lol) :)

TerranUp16

That's fine- definitely stick with JASS and maybe look into Lua. We don't need scripters yet, but we will at a not too distant time from now. And, if nothing else, knowledge of JASS will help you with the scripting language (likely Lua just because it's so common these days) for the Wartide map editor.

To Fladian- Yeah, it's been awhile. I just heard, a few days go, that Anvil had been resurrected, so I rushed over as soon as Arkidas contacted me.

edwinfong25

hmm... don't know much about Lua? (although i might have heard of it like once or twice)
although, i'd suppose, i've been looking a bit into Java actually (as a programming language), but i definitely dont know quite enough to do anything with it yet, lol

i'd daresay that the only good points for me would be that i can learn quite quickly, and i can learn a bit even without much help (like Jass, essentially I "learned" by the mere process of trial and error of various stuff, as well as looking through a few triggers as examples to understand the format in the beginning)

well, seeing as you'd seemingly recommend Lua, I'll try and look into it a bit :)

TerranUp16

Java would also be great. I started with WC3 triggering, then went to Visual Basic, then Java, and am now learning C++ (took HS classes for VB and Java- if you are still in HS, I highly recommend taking AP Computer Science [Java] if it's available to you). No need to look into Lua yet, but it's a fairly common scripting language that's being used in an increasing amount of games (JASS itself has been described as a "bastardized version of Lua")- it's something to look into once you're more comfortable with JASS (which has the advantage of being linked to WC3- something you're familiar with and something you can easily play with).

edwinfong25

yeah, i've tried getting into AP Computer Science... but unfotrunately i was completely unaware of it being offered until nearly halfway through the fall term (they have different "learning communities" as they call it... if i were in the Math and Sciences one, i probably would have been informed, but i was in the Law and American Studies one... (long story why, lol))
so they said that they would try to see if they could get me into the second term...
yet at the beginning of this term, they said that they could not add me in...
so... yeah, i couldn't take it, but in my opinion, it's not that big a deal, the only real difference that i'd see (besides the obvious difference in instruction) is that i wouldn't get credits for taking the course, lol
(i'm still going to look into Java and computer programming, so just that it wont be from that class, lol)

well, i'd say that i'm pretty comfortable with Jass, lol (i'd think that the fact that i'm preferring to use it over GUI, is probably a good indicator? lol (although a big part of that might be that GUI is annoying to click out, lol))

interestingly, Lua seems to ring a bell of some sort this time... but still nothing really comes up, lol
and yeah, i'm probably going to start looking into Java more in-depth soon, lol :)

Werbung: