Activision is sued.

Gdog

Eighties pop-rock band The Romantics are suing Activision, publisher of the Guitar Hero franchise, for including a cover version of their song "What I Like About You" without securing permission from the band or its label.

According the the Associated Press, the band says that the cover version of the song included in "Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's" infringes on the group's right to its own likeness.

In layman's terms the lawsuit states that gamers will be confused into thinking that the Guitar Hero cover version of the song was preformed by the Romantics. The Romantics believes that since their song is included in the game, players will assume that the band endorses the game.

The group is seeking compensatory and punitive damages, and are requesting that "Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's" be blocked from store shelves.

http://communities.canada.com/shareit/blogs/gamesnews/archive/2007/11/22/band-sues-activision-for-guitar-hero-cover-song.aspx

Werbung:

sharp141

wow people sue for the sake of it. the band should be happy that there song even got to be in a good game and will be used and listended to worldwide. and not sueing people for liking you song!

by the way im going to sue you for reading this post
mwuahahahahaha!!

Gdog

sharp141 said:
wow people sue for the sake of it. the band should be happy that there song even got to be in a good game and will be used and listended to worldwide. and not sueing people for liking you song!

by the way im going to sue you for reading this post
mwuahahahahaha!!

Well, the thing is that Activision never got permission from them. And as I've read from other sources, the song was not titled the same, but had the same lyrics and music...

Theherolink_1

Wow too bad for them but I agree whit sharp the band should be gratefull for putting that song in such an awesome game!(Only bad they didnt get any money when they putted the song...>.>)

Gdog

Theherolink_1 said:
Wow too bad for them but I agree whit sharp the band should be gratefull for putting that song in such an awesome game!(Only bad they didnt get any money when they putted the song...>.>)

Yeah, I think the money part was the thing that pissed them off. Otherwise, I would be honored to have my song in a great game.

cloudzero45

everyone is in for the money.... first the writer's strike now this lawsuit?

i with you Gdog... i be honored to be involved with any game... (except for crappy games)

Squiddy

What about Guitar Hero? Do you honestly think that those games suck?

I think they suck. They're mainly a publisher, hiring crappy small developers to make their **** movie tie ins and whateverthehell they make.

Oh, and they didn't develop Guitar Hero. ;) They published it.

Werbung:

Jesusdragon737

Well, the THPS series is incredible. I grew up with it and got THPS 1 when I was very young and I love it sooo much. THUG is probably one of my favorite games ever. It's extremely fun to play.