Hi

Blade.dk

Hello to all of you.

Some might know me, and some might not. I am going to introduce myself, so whoever wants to read can learn a bit about me.

It has been rougly two years since I bought Warcraft 3 (both RoC and TFT). Even though the game was several years old already when I bought it, I had not played it before. When I first tried the game with one of my friends (who also had got it late), I had to buy it.

I started playing melee maps, but I got tired of it almost before I had started. I was more amazed by the loads of custom games being played on bnet, and as I had worked with several editors for other games in the past (mostly the editors of "Heroes of Might and Magic" 3 & 4 and "Empire Earth"), I started experimenting in the WE.

Within a few days I have made my first (quite crappy) maps, but I found it funny so I continued.

The next time I spend making my first real, big map. It was called "Village War", and was a (quite unnormal) arena map. There were some nice features in it, like enterable houses and secret areas, but of course it also lacked some things, as I was not extremely skilled at that time.

I learned a lot about GUI triggering while I was making this map, and when I finished it I started on another project.

Then one day I was playing a map at bnet that some might now - Pantokrator Footman Wars, which I thought was very good (it is still being worked on today, actually). In the loading screen it had the site adress of Wc3Campaigns, and as the map was good I decided to visit the site.

I was lead to the forums page, but at that time I had never really been active on any forum before. I just ignored the forums and clicked on the "Downloads" button. This lead me to wc3sear.ch, and as I had been very impressed by custom models in other maps in the past, I decided to download some.

When I first saw the spells section I started to wonder: "How do you make spells?", "How can you use them?", "Do you need a special program to do it?" and so. I downloaded a couple, and found out that it was really interesting to see the effect combinations and unique ideas that the spells were made of. I also found out that custom spells were "just" using triggers or the, very mysterious, scripting language of wc3, JASS.

It started as an RPG, but I became more skilled while making it, and my ideas changed, so it suddenly became more into an aos - here I used some of the downloaded models and spells from wc3search, and learned even more. Once again, my mind changed, and it turned into an arena (each time I changed the map, I almost remade everything, but a few parts of it were carried over from each version to the next).
As it turned into an arena, I started to make some GUI spells for it, something that I really enjoyed.

This was when I started to make spells myself, and one day I decided to learn JASS - I had never worked with any programming language before, but luckily it was well documented (The JASS Manual), and from looking at different spells (especially Darky's Goblin AirStrike, it made me understand very much) and GUI to JASS conversions, I learned the basics of jass and made my first few JASS spells.

I signed up at wc3search, where I submitted them and recieved quite good comments.

I continued to work with spells, and once again I changed my arena a few times, because I learned more and wanted to code it in JASS.

I started to make more JASS spells, and I entered Daelin's "Arcane Competition" contest at wc3search. I won it and got my first (but not last) Director's Choice award for the spell pack.

At the same time, I was annoyed of wc3s and the inactivity of it's admin. The Jass section did not even have a moderator!
This made me start going to The Jass Vault, where I learned most of what I know today, primarily from KaTTaNa and Vexorian. I also got a forum for my map there.

The following months I learned a lot at The Jass Vault. I started being less inactive at wc3search.
I got enough of that site though, from being flamed several times for a moderator without any reason, and because I did not like the actions and attitude of an admin.

I removed my spells from the site, and stopped visiting it much, but I started becoming a bit more active there again when I joined the project "Unsung Legends", that just got hosted there.

At about the same time, I got a broadband connection instead of a 56k modem, so I started being more active. I started visiting the #jassvault IRC channel (which is replaced by #wc3dev today, a great place to get instant help with anything related to wc3 map/system/tool etc. development).

Later wc3c "died", but one day I checked by and saw that the revival of the site was being planned. I started joining the #wc3campaigns IRC channel, and became involved (not much in the start) in the rebuilding of the site.

After a while I was made a moderator of submitted spells. Even though that is a small area, I was helping with during several issues at wc3c, and later I was made development director/administrator of the site. About at the same time I was also made a moderator of The Jass Vault.

This means that I've had less time for my projects lately, but it has also been very interesting, and I believe I have learned something.

My primary project at the moment, Unsung Legends moved to wc3campaigns, so I stopped visiting the decaying wc3search some time ago.

This is a brief version of the story about what I have done in the wc3 community since I entered it.

Some of you might have noticed that it has been a while since I registered here, but I have never posted before, primarily because I have not had enough time. I hope I will have more time in the future, and also can help a bit in this site ;) .

- Blade.dk

Werbung:

Fladian

If all your posts will be of this length of the forum, you and I are going to have a whole load of fun here. :p It has been a long time since someone talked to me like that. :p

Anyway, a fine introduction you have there, Blade. I could've sworn you've posted before, but I must have mistaken it with Wc3c, which I recently decided to visit for a short time.
It is... nice to know how you started modding Warcraft, but normally, we have a different to mention about it, but letting it be part of your introduction is just fine too, I guess.

Blade, I don't know if you know me from Wc3c, but I am here as well. So if I never said hi, I'll do so now. Hi, and it's nice to meet you. :p

I never made an introduction thread for myself. But I'm a bit late to do so, now I think of it. But then again, I never made one at any forum and I guess that will always be like that.

All in all, welcome to Anvil. I hope you'll enjoy your stay.
-Fladian

Undead_Lives

That's even worse then the percert this morning that was getting sexually arroused by the wow pictures.[/b]
James, stop bringing that up. You took my words the wrong way, frankly you have a very...sick mind.
Anyways, welcome Blade.dk, to Anvil.
(james don't start spamming his thread with that stuff please)

Blade.dk

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I can not promise that all my posts will be as long as the above one, but some of them probably will. It depends on how much I've got to say :p. I type fast, so when I am interested in the subject, posts might get a bit long :).

Fladian

I type fast too, but I doubt it is as fast as you, if you are fast as I think you are. I used to be faster than I am now, but I slowed down over time because I was scared of getting RSI again.
But still, I'm sure we'll have fun either way.

Welcome once again. :p

Blade.dk

I remember having RSI back in november, I am doing what I can to avoid getting it again, but that was because of over use of mouse.
But I think I am so trained that I won't get it again from simple typing :p.

I hope we will, and I am happy for the welcomes.

Fladian

Not only was my income from typing, but it was also my hobby to write. Back then, I also forced my arm to do a lot, so RSI was getting quite a pain for me. Not to mention that I didn't have the average case of RSI. I forced it for too long, therefore the pain being quite more... effective and longer.

Training an arm will not affect the cases of RSI, Blade. RSI is only a matter when a movement is done over and over for too long.
=)

Werbung: