Hows this comp?

Intoxicated

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7126923&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01174&id=1109938021195

i need a laptop for college, and i want one that can run halflife 2 and counterstrike with no problems. let me know what you guys think about this computer. also, if you see any other good ones for about the same price, let me know please.

-tox

Werbung:

DiLLa

everything looks good on it except for the gfx card

u have plenty of memory on it
ur processor speed is really good as well

but i would def get a new graphics card at least get an ati 9800 pro

the one on there i thnk was a 9550 or sumthin like that lol

imported_SuXoR

Although the gfx is somewhat lacking, it appears to be a strong system. I just built a desktop with an A64 3000+ overclocked and it just screams. I'm not sure about the mobility gpu, but I bet with the RAM and proc that it has it would play source just fine.

Intoxicated

can i upgrade it? i can get this graphics card for 99 bucks, so let me know if thats any better than what its got.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6985248&type=product&id=1099392657795

the only thing about ati's is that there so fricken expensive, and since im sorta lacking in the job department right now...

MoneyShot

first you need prybar and a big hammer to get a desktop graphics card to fit into a laptop, then the results are not guaranteed.

in other words no.

Look on Dells site and price a laptop around a 6800go graphics system for the best performing laptop out, but even then its not the same as a robust desktop system.

$

Intoxicated

moneyshot, i have no idea what most of that means. i looked on the dell site earlier, and all i could seem to find was intel pentium m, which i dont like. the part about pricing a a 6800go graphics system means nothing to me, so if you or anyone else would care to elaborate, i would greatly appreciate it.

MoneyShot

the hammer and prybar was a joke.
if you want a slamming little laptop that can handle gaming find one of these models:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=177&item=5184613680&rd=1

I would not reccomend a gaming laptop, they cost 3 times as much as a comprable desktop and are 2/3-3/4 the performance.

Intoxicated

i got the hammer and prybar part, ha ha. it was the other jumbo that confused me. you see, with noobs like me, there has to be a link, like that last post. thanks.

Dirty

Toshiba has nice laptops at ok $$$$...

A friend of mine has one with the Radeon Moblity whatever whatever...

I played Halflife 2 on without any problems.

rocklee

You should take a look at www.powernotebooks.com They have decent laptops, and its not name brands but there are like 4 laptop manufacturers in the world, where dell, toshiba, and hp get their laptops from. Theres lots of options.

I got my laptop there 2 years ago and it was pretty much a desktop replacement and was top of the line for 2k. It ran CZ very well with over 100 fps (60 if ur standing in the smoke grenade). They have awesome customer service. You should take a look at them at www.resellerratings.com They have a great rating so you can trust them.

Well I hope you find what you want! Later!

Crisis

Here's a quote from a laptop forum:
" I've had the 7426gx for a little over a week now.

The video card is indeed identical to a 9600...and it's overclocking ability is nothing short of amazing. It's default core clock is 300Mhz...using ATITool I learned that it could run at 418MHz with no errors indefinitely. The ram can only go to 216 from 202 though. To play it safe, I run mine at 400/215 when benchmarking. In games, I don't bother to overclock. I can play Doom 3 at 1024x768 with all effects on (except AA) and it runs okay. Sometimes it dips down to 15fps in areas with a lot of lights and activities, but those are rare. In corridors it gets over 50fps and it averages over 30. Half Life 2 runs phenomenally at 1280x800 with no AA but everything else set to high and 8x Aniso and it averages over 40fps. In big open active areas, there are dips, but it's the same with my 9800 Pro on my desktop. What more can you ask for? The screen is so small (compared to a 19" LCD) I don't really miss anitaliasing at all...and that's about the only thing a GeForce go 6800 will let you do that this 9600 can't.

As for benchmarks, with the stock clock it gets 20fps in Aquamark 3 (1024,768, no AA, 4x Aniso, Highest detail). Running at 400/215, it gets 25fps, which is higher than some reviews of Mobility Radeon X600s I've seen running on Pentium Ms.

I don't actually play these games very much on it...that's what the desktop is for...but it's fun to be able to do so every now and then.

The 3700 processor is off the hook...fast as hell. Overall, I love this laptop."

Crisis

Here's some of HeatoN.Jr's 2-cents...

Weight is a big issue. I have a 7lbs laptop man, and I HATE carrying that thing around all over campus. The power I get for the weight is nice....but battery life is about 1:30 and the back pain really isn’t worth it.

If you want recommendations, Toshiba makes some of the best laptops out there. Point and case, my roommate had a Dell laptop that was almost identical in specs to my Toshiba, but he had 100mhz more CPU power and 32megs more memory. My laptop thrashed his in performance, so much so that he convinced his parents to take his laptop so he could buy a new Toshiba model the next year.

Gateway laptops, from experience in working with them, have issues with overheating. Every person I know that uses a Gateway laptop has had to buy a cooling pad for when the play games or do CAD work.

Another thing to consider is why you're choosing a laptop. If you want something that's easy to bring home, consider a SFF PC (Small Form Factor) like a Shuttle XPC and an LCD monitor. That laptop is 1400 and change after tax, that's more than enough money to get a really high-end desktop PC with speakers, monitor, etc....

IM me at "Shinbo VT" or "PuNx HeatoNJr" if you have Q's.

Werbung:

slick

HeatonJr said:
Here's some of HeatoN.Jr's 2-cents...

Weight is a big issue. I have a 7lbs laptop man, and I HATE carrying that thing around all over campus. The power I get for the weight is nice....but battery life is about 1:30 and the back pain really isn’t worth it.

What do u eat ?