Radio

Fladian

One of the most common mediums of the current age is still radio's, but you rarely hear people talk about it. I usually force people I hang out with (unintentionally) to mention it occasionally, but I rarely hear it when they are not in my pressence. It's pleasant to know that my former boss, Ramon, had a similar interest in the radio medium as well - and he knew more about music than me - where I quoted him several times and still do. "Under what rock did you live the last few centuries?"

Still, compared to the TV, radio is usually seen by many people as an excuse or only used when the TV is out of order or just plainly unavailable. However, many presentators from TV conclude and admit that presentating a radio show is by far a lot harder than a TV program. One of the most successful radio DJ's of the Netherlands at the moment (but also a tv presentator) and a famous Dutch man internationally as well, Ruud de Wild, mentioned a little while ago something about the differences between TV and radio. "The success of television doesn't depend completely on yourself. It does for the radio." (it can be covered on television, but you can't on the radio) Lately, many famous presentators are trying their luck at the radio too. Most are just plain bad, but there are some decent ones among them and a few are actually pretty good. Humberto Tan, sport presentator, did an excellent job in replacing the Dutch 'King of the Radio', Edwin Evers when he was on vacation. There were several others too who got very positive feedback, however, those who really are interested in radio prefer that they stick to their first and only interest. There are also radio dj's who decide to try their luck on television, unfortunately, often that has the same reaction as TV-presentators that try radio. It often results in a problem that they do not know how to act, but have no problem in speaking. Despite that they have interesting conversations and discussions, they just don't hit you for being interesting on TV. Of course, there are exceptions. Robert Jensen, former radio dj, is by far more successful on TV than on the radio. Mostly because the actions of him and his guests are 'funnier' to see than to hear. I'm no fan of Jensen, as a matter of fact, I don't like him. His humor exists mostly out of insulting (former-)famous people, and that isn't a humor I appreciate.

ruud_de_wild_204_tcm42-175983.jpg

Ruud de Wild
"I really fuckin' hated school! I thought it was a camp of torturing! I graduated from the Mavo (Fladian: I graduated in 5 years) in a full eight years."​

The youth generation has left radio mostly behind them only a few years ago, however, it is getting more popular lately. Despite that Edwin Evers is (by far) the most popular radio dj, he is not the most popular among youth people. Evers mentioned that before as well, saying that he is aiming for the fellow people of his age (30 - 40). Of course there are exceptions, like me. I'm still in my twenties, but Edwin is my favorite radio dj. DJ's that are more popular among the youth would probably be Giel Beelen (3FM, morning), Barry Paf (538, evening), Patrick Kicken (Veronica FM, morning), Rick van Velthuysen (538, night) and Ruud de Wild (538, afternoon). It is argumentable if Rick (van Velthuysen) is really fitting for the youth though. :p All of them have their own way of presentating their show. Giel is like a big kid and acts like one in his own radio shows which is heavily appreciated and therefore one of the most successful radio dj's of the moment. Barry Paf is probably the most popular radio dj of the evening for the youth. Barry specializes in the interest of the youth, mostly because he is still young too (nearing the 30, he's 27 if I'm not mistaking). Patrick Kicken seems to be good with sounds and voice-make-overs, but I rarely (or never, actually) listen to him because he (and Giel) are on at the same time as Edwin Evers. Rick van Velthuysen once said that he was annoyed by radio-night-programs that only played music. There wasn't any radio program during the night where they didn't play non-stop music. Instead of playing non-stop music, Rick (and his two side kicks, Erik-Jan Rosendahl and Koert who are a golden combination) talks throughout the entire program and doing some very remarkable events. He once recorded live sex on the radio. Rick is not unfamiliar with getting some kind of punishment for doing something wrong on the radio. For an old guy (50+) he's still one of the best and harshest radio dj's in the country. Ruud de Wild, finally, has always been specialized in the youth. He never presentated a program for adults seriously. The only exception was when Radio538 opened up a new studio and he and Edwin Evers, the two best radio dj's, but complete opposite personalities (the calm and rational Edwin, the rough and chaotic Ruud) were dumped into a studio together and they had to fill in a program. Happened once and probably will happen never again.​

beelen_52362c.jpg

Giel Beelen​

I personally have a big interest in radio. I admire the morning DJ of Radio538, Edwin Evers and if I could listen to him for the entire day, I'd probably do that too. The man is my idol, I look up to him. It may sound a bit strange, but because he has a similar personality to the one of my own, I find in him my role model. Recently I learned that I am more of an entertainer than someone who brings information, but I also own several habits what many people of that profession have as well. If possible, I would like to give it a try. At a first sight, many DJ's look like they are just... there. Nothing too interesting, or at least, that's what I thought for a long time until I decided to give it a little research.
I remember it like the day of yesterday that Radio538 DJ Lindo Duvall (who does a lot of speak-in's at the Dutch television, together with colleague DJ, Tim Klijn) had to fill in on a few DJ's. Normally, Lindo has a program at 10 o'clock in the morning and it lasts 'till 12; noon. When Tim (12:00 - 14:00 / 2:00 PM) is unavailable, Lindo sometimes fill in for him. After Tim is Jeroen (a famous club DJ) Nieuwenhuize and then Ruud de Wild. When Ruud is unavailable, Lindo is Ruud's first replacement. I remember it clearly that Lindo had to fill on both Tim and Ruud once. My brother called later that day telling me that Evers was sick and that Lindo had to replace him too. Lindo didn't go to work the next day. (He replaced Edwin Evers (6:00 - 10:00), his own program (10:00 - 12:00), Tim's program (12:00 - 2:00) and Ruud's program (4:00 - 7:00 PM))​

233-01.jpg

Edwin Evers
"A little music, a little information and a little bit of nonsense. That's what someone needs in the morning."​

At first sight, radio doesn't look much out here. Despite that there are numerous awards, not much attention is given to it on television (logical, of course). In a few days, the 'Golden radio awards' will be given. "Grand radio DJ Edwin Evers is nominated for everything except one, 'Best female radio DJ.'"
Still, only when something (very) remarkable happens in their show, nothing will be shown of it on television. I'm sure Edwin Evers wouldn't mind, in opposite of Ruud de Wild and Giel Beelen, he remains calm no matter what and isn't interested in being in the spotlight, despite being the best of the hurde. The last time I can remember when a radio studio was on television were the following three:
1. The Top 40 existed 40 years and many famous people were invited. Ricky Martin, Erik de Zwart (first presentator of the Top 40) and Wessel van Diepen (former best DJ of the Netherlands and has a nice record of international fame) were there too.
2. Edwin Evers signed a new contract for five years on his 10th year aniversery of his program: Evers staat op (Evers stands up). He didn't look too happy with a camera in front of him to me.
3. 'Domino' is famous across the world. Out here, we have a domino-day. Thousands of figures are made using domino rocks and at one single day, they are all thrown aside. It's impossible to explain, it's something that should be seen. At one day, a bird managed to get in the building and was tearing the entire scene apart. They shot the bird. Ruud de Wild found it offensive and wanted to 'sabotage' the entire event.​

Wessel%20van%20Diepen-portret.jpg

Wessel van Diepen​

There are numerous local radio stations out here, but there are only a handful of big stations. Radio538 is the top of the hurde, but SkyRadio (non-stop music), Q-Music (motto: 'Bang, bang, bang, music!'), 3FM (Youth-radio station & the most big radio names usually started off at 3FM), Veronica FM (slowly dying :p) and Radio 2 (general) are the big names.​

191.jpg

Barry Paf
"My private phone number? Sorry, but I really can't give you that."​

Now is my question, how much does the radio medium live in other countries? I can imagine a lot of "none at all," from many people, but try to look it a bit deeper. Fortunately for myself, I already know the answer of several countries (Germany, France, Spain, the US, England) because of own, friends' or fellow forum member's (I'm a member of a radio forum) experience. But still, I am interested in hearing what people say.​

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

Around here, it's still pretty popular. It's something that is played always while driving in your car. Personally I do actually like a couple of DJ's on the radio, but they're only on at lunch times, and I can't really listen to them since my school's lunch starts almost at 1 pm >.>
However when I have a day off, they're great to listen to. Oh, and they're on a classic rock station.

Fladian

What is stopping you from listening radio during class? :p The last two years (remarkable less this year and the second half of last year) I almost listened to the radio during every class using a small mini-radio (the appearance was similar to an mp3 player).

Undead_Lives

I'm not allowed any music in any of my classes, and if I get caught in any of them, I'm dead. They are my hardest courses, and I'm trying to do well in them :p
Also....I don't have a very good radio :p

Fladian

I'm not allowed ot have music in my classes either, but that doesn't really stop m... us from using a radio/mp3player/Ipod in class. That also counts for our harder classes, courses and all other kind of things.

Fladian

Comercials can be fun too. Or try to find a station that doesn't have too many comercials. The radio station I listen to (radio538) has quite a lot of comercials, though it heavily depends on the dj on that moment. Edwin Evers, Lindo Duvall and Jeroen Nieuwenhuize as example, use quite a load of comercials. However, Rick van Velthuysen and Barry Paf use quite a low number of them, while Rick is close to the 'use no comercials at all' point. The comercials he does use are always mixed with something else, which makes it hilarious.

Just a few days ago, a job has come free as a radio dj for a local radio station in my area. I personally would love to sign up, it would be a dream that would come true for me. But I can't. The time it is broadcasting is between 1 and 4 PM (13:00 - 16:00), which is a time I am usually at school, with an exception of tuesday. But it really is a horrible time.
There is another job free, on sunday, at 14:00 - 16:00, (2PM - 4PM) but I can't do that either. That's a sport program, and I really don't know enough about sport to be successful with that. I've hesitated to stop school for that first job, but still... I'll rather stick to school.

Mini-Me

I listen to internet radio when im on computer with winamp. Right now im stuck on 80's music :D so im listening to radio stations that play the 80's music. Great songs back then :)

Fladian

I used to have a nice collection of internet-radio stations. Live 365, as I recall. Great site and I was considering of opening one up myself quite some time ago. Because of a lack of time, I didn't. The comercials of Live365 were great too. I haven't listened to any station of Live 365 for almost (if not more) a year now, so I'm not sure if the comercials changed.

"Welcome to breaking... *crash*... news."

Werbung:

Fladian

That reminds me. I listen to internet radio about once a week to. I listen Omrop Fryslan (Omroep Friesland / Radio Fryslan) to listen to my favorite football team, SC Heerenveen. (Un)fortunately, Heerenveen is a Frisian village where they speak Frisian. My Frisian... um... sucks.

I started listening to Omrop Fryslan last year at the start of the season. SC Heerenveen had to play Roda JC at some point at the start of the season (second game, as I recall). SC Heerenveen won with 5 - 4, but more than 5 of those goals were made in 20 minutes of time. The presentators of Omrop Fryslan were cheering, shouting and screaming that yet another goal fell. Unfortunately, I can't count in Frisian, so I didn't have a clue what the score was at a certain point. (I don't understand numbers in Frisian; I can a bit now, but not much further than 3) My guess of the final score was completely off.
But still, it's the only radio that gives a live report from Friesland (Fryslan).
"It's true that PSV had the best chairman of the last decade, but we have the best chairman of all times."