Research

Fladian

I personally translated this from a Dutch site, so there are bound to be a number of mistakes in it, including one word which I am not familiar with. Especially the last paragraph is full with mistakes, but it should still be understandable.

<div align="center">---</div>
According to a research of the 27th of June, which was made in Canada, the more older brothers a man has, the higher the chance that the youngest of the brothers will eventually be homosexual. This is only the case when the biological brothers. There is no connection to step-brothers (as you often hear in someone being adopted in a family). The influence of older brother is biological and can not be explained by social factors.

<div align="center">
Nieuwsfoto_s_van_26__71430d.jpg

a part of the gay parade</div>

This is apparent out of research from the Canadian psycholical Anthony Bogaert, which appears this week in the PNAS Online Early Edition. A couple of years ago, Bogaert proved that as long as a man has an older brother, he would feel sexual attracted to other men (though barely a three percent in his research), with 38 percent increased. Sisters and younger brothers are of no concern. Back then, he kept the option open that growing up in a family with older brothers could lead to the fact that a boy could start feeling young and innoccent and a bit feminine. When searching for a partner, a younger brother could aim more for the manly type and eventually be attracted to men.

This new research, done by almost a thousand Canadian men now closes that option. Bogaert made a difference now between biological and non-biological brothers. Only the amount of biological brothers kept relating to the homosexuality; the number of older non-biological brothers didn't matter, and the same for younger brothers and sisters. The amount of time a man spends in his childhood with his older biological brother(s) in one home didn't matter either. Even if he didn't grow up with them at all, it would still increase the chance of homosexuality.

The explanation for this must prenatal. There are, according to Bogaert, indirect hints that the immunity-system of the mother, every time she gets pregnant of a boy it would react stronger to specific manly, and 'body-unknown' species. The womb would have influence on the brains of the unborn son and it would lose the ability to do that. This theory explains also why women with older sister are often not lesbians.

<div align="center">---</div>

My first reaction upon reading this was: "Excuse me?"

As most people here know, I have an older brother... and an older sister. My brother is seven years older than me and my sister is seven years older than my brother. The research does not say that I should be immediately homosexual, but should feel at least partly attracted to men... as most people know, I'm a guy as well. Seeing as some people actually mistaked me for not being one, I think it might be best if I clear that up as well.

I took a little time to think about it and tried to go through some stuff. I happen to have an older brother, but I don't seem to have any friends who are in a similar situations. All my friends either have no siblings, or only an older sister... well, except for one of them: Jeroen, but he's a twin, and we don't have much contact with each other anymore.
Therefore, I cannot compare my own interests to others I know personally.

<div align="center">
gezichten-edwinevers.jpg

Number one radio DJ, Edwin Evers, the man I look up to the most.</div>

I am not attracted to men, (despite Edwin Evers being my idol, who is (clearly) a man) but have quite a feminene side most people are aware of as well. Something I do not mind at all, and actually am pretty fond of. In opposite of several years ago, I am very happy with my personality and how I am, despite messing a few things of dire importance up quite badly only recently.
With no influence over it, I fall for girls and only girls. But admitted, about three years ago, I could've sworn that the type of girls I'd fall for were tomboys. Truthfully that I didn't really know much about what types I'd fall for, and therefore dismissed it. As most also know, I went through quite some changes over the last two years and reached my 'final stop' about four months ago, thanks to a very kind girl who has proven to be one of the most returning people in my quote of the day or merely in a subject I am talking about.
In a quick calculation, I've had a crush for about two times and others were nothing more than lust. I am personally convinced that I can look back on them all, and point out what were crushes (or love) and lust. Despite me overly caring for one specific girl, it is not love. ("I love you, but I could never fall in love with you." - Me)

How about others? Would you say that this research could have the truth in it? I happen to be a good example of this, despite not really being homosexual.

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

Homosexuality is the one thing I despise. You can be from any race, religion, have any skin color or beliefs, but homosexuality is something I cannot stand. It's like going against nature.
As for the research, I have heard that being gay is more of a choice, rather than something you cannot avoid.

Fladian

It's not really a choice. Or at least, not that I am aware of. I am of the opinion that you have no influence about for who you'd fall for. It was not my decision that I had feelings for a specific high school girl three years ago, if I had any control over it, it would never happen. I forgot that I could get feelings for another girl (more recently) when I first met that girl. The third (and last) girl is a different matter, and I don't have any loving feelings for her. It was not my decision.

Being homosexual is completely similar. They can't help it that they don't like the opposite sex.

It's hard to despise seeing as it is still something very normal. It is not their choice... and well, that's all I can say, I'm afraid.

Undead_Lives

Well I think it is a choice, because the body doesn't make you like the same sex.
How do humans reproduce? Male and Female. The ONLY way. If everyone was homosexual then the human race would die off. So it's not natural, then it must be a choice.

Fladian

Actually, the body does seem to be attracted to the same sex, also according to this research.

Though I agree with the fact that the most natural relationship is a male-female relationship, - I'm straight people, I really am :p - there are more than enough male-male or female-female - believe o' me, I have nothing against both... specifically the last one.

As most people know, I can have quite a feminine side but I also seem to enjoy more staying among girls. Those are the type of people I feel good with, and will eventually be with one... if you could say it that way, considering as I am currently together with someone... in a way. Don't ask... please.
However, I could have felt the same for people like me. If I would meet another guy like myself, I could fall for him immediately. I doubt that will be the case, but it would be very possible. (Heck! I met my idol (Edwin Evers) in real life, so... :p)

"And... are you sure you don't have any feelings towards that girl?" - DJ Barry Paf
"I am completely sure, Barry. I don't any feelings towards her. None at all. I assure you that. Do you want to know why? Well, that's because I'm homosexual. I really am. But she is just a great friend, and I don't want to lose her as my best friend." - A guy in the show
"You really have a problem with ADHD, right?" - Barry
"Yeah, I sure do. But that's no problem. I mean, this is about her, right? This isn't about me."

In other words: You have no control on who you fall for, not even if that person is male or female.

Undead_Lives

Well I'm not saying that you have control over who you fall for, I'm saying you have a choice of whether or not to be straight or not.
For instance I've heard that if guys have bad relationships with girls, they will start trying out guys, and soon they are gay. Same goes for girls, only vice versa.

Fladian

No, you don't have any influence on that as well. When I said that you don't have influence on who you fall for, that would also involve it being the same sex or not; in my case, another guy, though for some reason I just got a very bad example in mind... not really someone I want to think about. *cough*

To be honest, I haven't heard of what you said about guys. I am familiar with girls saying that. It's also known as the greatest insult a guy could receive... which is true after all... This often involves the person who 'switches' is disappointed in the opposite gender. Or so it is often told. I am not familiar with any who said that.

It is well known to be said that a lot of people don't know if they're straight or not. Radio Erotica (speaking of which, that is about to start) clearly indicated as well that a lot of teenagers are very doubtful if they are straight after all? A common question that is given is the 'I did <insert something here> with him/her, does that mean I could have feelings towards that gender,' the part where you could insert something could be just about anything... or at least, I've heard just about anything. With one in specific that forced me to turn off my radio and hesitated to call Dennis myself to start yelling at him.
However, this does seem to occur much with teenagers, but it doesn't necessarily stop at adulthood. According to my age - and law - I'm an adult and I even hesitated (not very long though) to become a legal guardian. Yet - fictional speaking now, as I am not really as innoccent as a few months (or years) ago - can I prove that I am straight? The best thing I can do is approach the first best girl and... uh... do whatever I should do with her. But doesn't that mean that I could fall as a rock for the next best guy a few days later?

Undead_Lives

I dunno, cause I've never thought about going with guys, as I said, it disgusts me. Besides, my horomones are in full swing towards girls, and I'm not stopping them :p

Raiju

If that research is true, my little brother must be the gayest person in the city (which he is NOT)
we are seven in total, 4 women and 3 men

this research is one of the greatest absurds i've ever seen

Imo, being gay is like having a mind disease (like eschizofrenia and kleptomania). It is something that subverts your very self, the way you were supposed to be, the RIGHT way, the NATURAL way

However, Fladian wrote something that made me think...

I, and most of the men i know, get easily aroused with lesbians. Why?

Well I'm not saying that you have control over who you fall for, I'm saying you have a choice of whether or not to be straight or not.
For instance I've heard that if guys have bad relationships with girls, they will start trying out guys, and soon they are gay. Same goes for girls, only vice versa.
[/b]
Once sentence clears this up.
IT'S IN YOUR BRAIN!
It's no your choice.
That's like saying "people with AIDS chose to have AIDS" or "people who get shot in the arm chose to get shot in the arm"
It's stupid!!
Yes, you can chose. But most of the time it isn't your choice!
And if it weren't technically possible then gay people wouldn't exist.

And there's nothing wrong with being gay. Just because something isn't natural doesn't mean it wrong. Another fine example.
Smoking
Drinking
Both of these are NOT natural you chose to do it. WHich means.....THAT I CAN'T STAND EITHER OF THEM BECAUSE THEY AREN'T NATURAL!!!
RAWR! F34R MEH!!

was pissed off today

I, and most of the men i know, get easily aroused with lesbians. Why?
[/b]

Because there is no guy ^_^
Just two girls.

TerranUp16

First, I must say that I am not, in any way or fashion, homosexual. However, I do find it rather irritating that people treat such people no better than African Americans before the mid 20th century. There are only two ways of which one should think of homosexuality. One should either think of it as a race, something that someone is born with, or like a religion, a belief system that someone chooses. There is plenty of research showing that homosexualism can be genetic. Many people are predisposed to be gay. This is not unsimiliar as to how people are predisposed to be white, black, etc... So, essentially, you are condemning a person for having no control over their sexual disposition, just as a black man has no control over the color of his skin, with the exception of Michael Jackson.

The other way is that some people are not born to be genetically homosexual. However, through events in their life, they find that they wish to embrace this. One should think of this as a belief system, and a religion. Are you going to condemn that person's choice of religion? Do you want me to condemn you for being a Christian, or whatever religion you are? Essentially, that is exactly what you are doing. Thinking in that way, hating homosexuals, makes you no better than Islamic extremists or Hitler.

And in response to your, "That's how the race reproduces" crap. Do you know what the percentage of homosexual people is in the world? Less than one percent. The world population is spiraling out of control, and the earth is experiencing overpopulation, yet you're going to condemn less than 1% of the population for not reproducing!? You should be thanking them. The fact is, there are plenty of orphans all over the world. Homosexuals are much more likely to adopt than any normal person. By doing this they help a poor child who had no control over their parents' deaths, or their parents abandoning them, whatever the case may be. The fact is simply that the amount of homosexuals is not great enough, nor will it ever be great enough, to threaten the human race's ability to produce another generation. Rather, their contributions help to stem the population growth, albeit only very slightly, and they aide with caring for orphans and other displaced children.

Really, stop acting like sheep, and think for yourself. Humans genetically evolved to gain the power of reason. Use it.

Kem Rixen

This research is complete nonsense, it's about as logical as the flat earth theory, and seems to have as much thought put into it as well.

On a sidenote, I'm completly shocked by your responses UL, it could be that I'm from Massachusetts, the only state in the USA that allows same-sex marriage, but I honestly didn't think you'd be so closed minded.

Moagrim

I dunno, cause I've never thought about going with guys, as I said, it disgusts me. Besides, my horomones are in full swing towards girls, and I'm not stopping them :p
[/b]

Undead, you've just suceeded in proving yourself a complete idiot. The post above entirely contradicts your ridiculously structured homophobic argument. You just said that you can't help your hormones (or letting them control you, w/e) ever thought that gay people can't control them, too? And even if they can, there is nothing wrong with it. No-one complains about your hideously bad social life ( you admitted it on "Curse of a loner") So don't judge people for liking the same sex, something they most probably have no control over, when you know next to nothing about it.

And btw, I'm not gay,and I have no doubt about that.I just feel strongly towards Judgemental people with no good reason to back up their arguments.

Oh and Terran,Nice argument :D .

Werbung:

N00byStance

Well I think it is a choice, because the body doesn't make you like the same sex.
How do humans reproduce? Male and Female. The ONLY way. If everyone was homosexual then the human race would die off.
[/b]

You're probably not familiar with the matter. In animal world, creatures often... hm... FUCK other animals of same sex, I read whole article about it in some science magazine, maybe I'll drop some fragments some time. I was kinda surprised that *same* things happen to other creatures.

Besides, I really don't mind if someone is gay or lesb, as long as he/she is a good person. I really don't mind he is fucked in his butt or so, he wouldn't hear wrong word from me. Other thing that I never knew a person that told me he/she is gay...