some technical questions/help

Loudboy

ok so i recently built my "beast" of a computer alright. well, i didnt look much into the power supply at the time and have not bought the best one, as it doesn't support enough power if i want to run sli with two xfx geforce 7800 gtxs(which i will, probably in a year). ok so i currently have a 500W power supply that outputs 12V@26A

this is what i need. something that outputs 12V@30+Amps and is 550W or more. does anyone have any suggestions for this?

also, i'd like to setup RAID on my computer but have no idea where to start...help with that would be greatly appreciated also....for the RAID tho itd probably be better for a phone chat or on aim

Thanks, Loud

Werbung:

Loudboy

ok i found this for a power supply and it matches my case exactly cause its made for it, ill probably go with this

ASPIRE ATX-AS680W-BL ATX12V/ EPS12V 680W Power Supply - Retail
Click on it to see the info for it

its got like 12V@46A output hehe, plus its puuurty

that still doesnt solve the RAID thing...i have no idea how to do it. i know it involves reinstalling windows and a floppy disc tho...i dont even know if its worth it yet but ill find out i hope

slick

read this guide : http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=136602

I reccomend the 600W OCZ Powerstream.

Good luck.

P.S. Do not be cheap on the PSU. Afterall, if it fails you might fuck up the whole PC.............

Puppet

I work in tech support for the largest storage company in the world. I fly where there are problems and fix them. I only work on storage in a Windows environment. I think you managed to pick my favorite topic. Raid comes in two flavors, hardware and software. Which one you wanting to do? It also requires multiple disks. Sounds like you want a raid-1 mirror of your boot/system disk. That means you need to have two disks the same size. You still want to talk after hearing that part?

Loudboy

puppet i current have a 300GB maxtor HDD and an 80GB HDD anything i can do there?

i have plans to buy another 300GB HDD this spring

should i wait? or? i was just told i can get faster data transfer rates with RAID 0.

umm my mobo is Gigabye GA-K8N-SLI if that helps

thanks, :)

Werbung:

imported_SuXoR

You should go for a high quality power supply that features active PFC to absorb power anomalies (slight surges, ripples, noize, brown conditions). I personally like Enermax power supplies. They strike a nice balance between price and quality. I have heard bad things about Antec power supplies, but to each his own. Since you are planning on buying TWO $500 video cards, I assume price has little influence on your buying. Having said that, I would recommend something from PCPower and Cooling. They are excellent power supplies with a premium price tag. Lately, the new modular power supplies have caught my eye. They feature molex connectors on the power supply case itself, so that poeople who have modded out cases with windows can plug only the needed amount of wires into the power supply. The reason I mention this is because I would really like the clean flexibility of the modular units, but I will not buy one because of the questionable quality on a component level.

Now, as far as RAID is concerned, what motherboard do yo have? Most current motherboards are equipped with some form of hardware raid capable of RAID 0, 1, 0+1, and JBOD. I have had good luck with on-board RAID controllers from Highpoint, Promise, and Silicon Image. It really depends on what kind of board you have.

Hard drive selection is less complicated. I always pick at least two identical drives. If you sart to mix and match you can run into problems. In the case of RAID 0 (for speed), if you pair up two drives of different capacity, the array will only allocate the smaller capacity times two. So if you use your 300GB and 80GB in a RAID 0 array, the result will be a faster 160GB array.

Now the tricky part of the whole RAID mess (at least in RAID 0) is optimizing the stripe and cluster size. This is where Puppet can most likely enlighten us. It gets fairly technical at this point. As far as I know, larger stripes and clusters will increase transfer speeds of large (ie. movies) files, but at the expense of wasted disk space and slower transfer speed for smaller files. The converse holds true for smaller cluster stripe and cluster sizes. Also, the smaller the custer size the more work the RAID controller has to do in splitting up your data (writing operations) and reassembling your data (reading operations). Personally, after trudging through several articles on the subject I decided on a middle of the road cluster and stripe size.

If you have the time there is a wealth of information with benchmarks, etc. on the web. I found www.storagereview.com to be helpful.

On my home computer I have dated hardware, but I do run RAID 0:
ASUS 87N8X Deluxe
Athlon 2100 Tbred overclocked to 200x11=2200 MHz
512MB Corsair Platinum Low Latency
435Watt Enermax Power Supply
128MB Radeon 9600XT
Two Western Digital 80GB Special Editions in RAID 0 Serial ATA on the Silicon Image Controller
Leadtek TV Tuner Card w/remote

Puppet... you work for EMC?