Spells - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Daelin

Spells FAQ (inspired from wc3sear.ch FAQ).

1. How can I make a custom spell and what program should I use?
You need only the Warcraft III World Editor in order to be able to make a spell. The easiest way to change an already existant spell is to change some of its fields in object editor (though you can't really call that spellmaking). Complex spells can be enchanced through the Trigger Editor (through either GUI or JASS).

2. How can I import a spell into my map?
Try this tutorial.

3. I gave a unit more than one spell based off the same spell. Sometimes when I order that unit to cast one of those spells, it casts another spell. Why is that and how can I solve the problem?
That's because all the abilities have the same Order ID. Changing it in Object Editor won't cause any changes. The only solution is to simply base your abilities off different abilities.

4. What is a dummy unit and how can I create my own?
Dummy units are special units which help you enchance spells. Their advantage is that they cannot be noticed ingame, so for the player, they practically do not exist. To create a dummy unit, copy-paste the footman unit and change the following fields accordingly: Give it the locust ability. Change its Art - Model File (type it on the field down entitled Custom), Art - Shadow Image (unit) and Combat - Attacks Enabled fields to none. Set Movement - Type to Fly; Movement - Speed Base, Stats - Food Cost and Stats - Sight Radius (both Night and Day) to 0.

5. How do I make heroes go over level 10?
This is a classic. Go to Advanced - Gameplay constants and check the box in the upper-left corner. Then search for Hero Maximum Level and change it to the maximum level your heroes can get to.

6. How do I change the text on the expiration bar of my summoned unit?
Change the buff name for the ability. That name will then appear on the bar.

7. How do I allow the World Editor to use negative values?
Go to File > Preferences. Under the General tab, check the box titled “Allow negative real values in Object Editor.” In some cases this won't be enough, so for those cases just hold shift and double click on the field you want to give a negative value.

8. I want to learn how to enchance spells with GUI. Where do I begin?
Try this tutorial.

9. What is that locust ability anyway and how can I add it through triggers?
It makes units unselectable, invulnerable and removes their pathing. Unfortunately the only way to add it is by using JASS. The rawcode of the ability is 'Aloc'.

10. How can I detect passive abilities such as Critical Strike and Evasion?
The only way to do that is by triggering the abilities yourself.

~Daelin

Werbung:

Eternity_Sheild

Custom abilities have always been easy for me, the only thing I ever wondered was how you make abilities of your own (through triggering) where you have random events (like explosions) occuring around the hero without having a location constantly following the hero...

Fladian

Isn't there an event that picks a random time to do an action? If so, can't you just use that, with the condition that it follows the hero.

Werbung:

Daelin

Will, to get a random point around the hero use PolarOffset and for the distance use a random real between smallest and highest distance of the possible explosion. For angle, once again, random real between 0.00 and 360.00. That's all!

And as for random timing (what you said Fladian) here is the idea:
Event - Every x seconds //in place of x use the smallest interval between which the trigger may repeat
Conditions - Random Integer Between 1 and 20 is equal to 1 //Change 20 to a lower value if you want the event more frequent, or higher if you want it less frequent

~Daelin