Starting languages

Werbung:

Casualty

keep in mind that i am considering various career paths including netwroking, network security, and web design or some kind of webpage management...

DeathCorpse

java and java script is big in web design right now. but it really depends on what you are looking to do. you can go more database side and make a lot of money right now. Like in excess of 80k if you know what your doing. Some oracle DB classes would be good for that. I believe Oracle currently has most of the market. Somewhere around 85%. and you would pick up some sql with that. SQL is fairly easy. Jave also works well with DB's with the help of middle ware so that it can talk to the database. But Oracle isnt really a language and in my book SQL doesnt count either. you really only have 2 other options Visual Basic.net which some orgainizations use or C++. I would personally go with C++ and java as your 2 languages. and take a couple of Oracle courses. Some other classes to look into for electectives that would be very beneficial are security related. you can make lotss of money in the infosec field also. I will tell you right now though programming can be a pain in the ass, and its very time consuming at times. especially when you are just learning.

imported_SuXoR

I had C, C++, and Java (among others) in college. In my opinion if you learn C++ you can do Java fairly easily. Java is very similar to C++, but it is less difficult in my opinion. The only bad thing with java is that microsoft is trying to phase it out because of the issues with sun. The good thing is that java and c are both good cross platform languages.

One language that was not required in my curriculum is visual basic. I wish I would have taken it because of its usefulness in the windows environment. It is also nice for writing macros in various MS apps. If you can learn VB with database interfacing that would be very marketable.

Also PHP is another widely used database interfacing language.

Some useless languages that I learned:
FORTRAN
COBOL
Assembler for the VAX 311

// 1337 programming sillz
#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
printf("Hello, World.");
return -1;
}

Werbung: