What is the difference in wireless internet and wifi?

Santos Bulus

Well i have a wireles router at home but my iPhone wont connect to it but when i am at like starbucks it works, is there a difference in the wireless internet and wifi.

Werbung:

killman360

Wi-Fi (pronounced /ˈwaɪfaɪ/) is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance that may be used with certified products that belong to a class of wireless local area network (WLAN) devices based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. Because of the close relationship with its underlying standard, the term Wi-Fi is often used as a synonym for IEEE 802.11 technology.[1][2]

The Wi-Fi Alliance is a global, non-profit association of companies that promotes WLAN technology and certifies products if they conform to certain standards of interoperability. Not every IEEE 802.11-compliant device is submitted for certification to the Wi-Fi Alliance, sometimes because of costs associated with the certification process, and the lack of the Wi-Fi logo does not necessarily imply a device is incompatible with Wi-Fi devices.

Today, an IEEE 802.11 device is installed in many personal computers, video game consoles, smartphones, printers, and other peripherals, and virtually all laptop or palm-sized computers.

From Wikipedia

As far as I know, they are pretty much the same thing. Why it is not working for you is rather strange but I would try to do some searches about it.

Roger117

They are the same, maybe you can't connect at home because the home security is maybe one that the iPhone does not support; eg, WPA2 etc.

Master_7

^ wow dude.... way to thread dig from 2010

Also, the above guy was making a severe amount of pointless posts during last year, hence my impatient reply to this very silly question....

Werbung:

Sajid Ali

^ wow dude.... way to thread dig from 2010

Also, the above guy was making a severe amount of pointless posts during last year, hence my impatient reply to this very silly question....

Lolz, just saw that now, that your post was so old, well i thought it's one of those recent posts i must say this forum is really dead, just make it alive by posting :p