New Computer Help

Crisis

Money for PC's
Hey guys, you'd be surprised how little computers cost when you get them built FOR you instead of buying them in the store or from a major manufacturer.

I built my roommates computer, just shy of top of the line, 2Gs.
(He wanted a large LCD and a TV tuner, so that kept the CPU down from being the best)

Oh and I'll take that comment from Rock Lee as a compliment. Thanx.

Werbung:

innovision

So Heaton, how much does your dream compuer cost? I'm sure you've price out all those parts and prolly know whether they are compatible. If it under 4,000 then I might just have you tell me where I can order all that. I'll need a monitor as well though. Preferably a 19 or 20 inch widescreen LCD. But yeah thanx again guys for all the help. I really would like to build it myself though. I think it would be a learning experiance, and being a computer science major... something I should definetly be able to do.

Defender

I got a 76gb Raptor drive and I love it.

I am on a 3.2HT Dell with 768megs ram. I had 1GB dual channel but for some reason the system locks up a couple times a day. It runs great on the 768 so I ain't complaining. I got a 7800 radeon pro with 256mg ram too.

Crisis

Well there are a few things that need to be toned down on the system first, a smaller koolance case and no prometia cooler. WIth those changes it will run just under 4000 (I'm talking 3,999.99 kinda deal). When I get to work around nine I'll start pulling a real price list together.

Note: The 7800 GTX and the FX-57 aren't out yet, they will be shortly though. The FX-57 should be out on Tuesday and the GTX comes out today or tomarrow.

slick

If you build it yourself and especially if it's your first one stay away from DFI motherboards. I just buit JAKAL a PC and the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI blows!!!!! Just can't get it started.
I am not an expert as Rock and Heaton but I have build a couple of PC's before ,both with ASUS mobo's and it was a piece of cake. ASUS is definetly the way to go if u are not gonna overclock(u still can , just don't have so many options).

My PC:
P4 3.2 E Zalman 7000 AlCu--XP-90 and HS Panflo on it's way
ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe
2x512 OCZ Gold Rev2 PC4000
eVGA 6800 GT
74 GB Raptor
SB Audigy and Creative 5.1
Ultra X-Connect 500 W
Cooler Master Centurion and Thermaltake Hardcano 12
Viewsonic A91f+ / Logitech Elite / Mx510

Crisis

Give me the specs on the DFI rig, vid cards, proc, etc... you could just be running into a BIOS or hardware config problem.

Take for example ASUS's premium Pentium L7' series mobo won't post if have a processor over 2.8Ghz in it (without a BIOS update) or ABIT's KR7A series motherboard would have severe stability problems if you put a Sound Blaster Audigy in them.

slick

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI
AMD +3700 San Diego + XP90 with a 92mm Sunon fan
CORSAIR XMS 1GB PC 3200 TWINX1024-3200XLPT 2-2-2-5
eVGA 6800 GT PCI-E
250 GB Seagate SATA
520W OCZ Modstream PSU
Lite-On CD-RW and DVD-RW

edit: the DRAM and the standby LED stays on but thats it . Fans don't work, or anything else.

Crisis

((Okay, this is a quick trouble shooting guide for your system, it is not considering all options but the instead the most common))

First let's try getting a BIOS error.

Disconnect everything from the motherboard but leave the CPU and power connected.
Try powering on the motherboard; if the fans spin up you should hear a continual long beep. *Beeeeeeeep* -break- *Beeeeeep* -break- etc... That's a basic IBM BIOS error code for memory channel errors (usually caused by a video card not being seated properly or RAM).

If it doesn't beep, but the fans spin up then you could have a bad cpu/motherboard or your motherboard could need a BIOS update.

To check this, turn the system off, and switch off the PSU (leave the cord plugged in, this keeps the system grounded). Now find the CMOS Reset jumper, and set it to clear (this will be in the manual for the motherboard). Once it's set to clear wait 12 seconds, switch the jumper back to normal position, turn the PSU on, and try powering on the system again, if the CPU and mobo are okay and you don't need a BIOS update the system should start up and start beeping at you because you don't have any RAM in and no video card.

Okay, you do all the above steps, but it still doesn't start up (fans don't spin up and no error beeps).

Your system could be grounded. To test that do this:
Unplug the PSU and wait 12 seconds or until the LED on the motherboard turns off. Plug the PSU back in. While watching the CPU fan blades push the power button or *short the Power On header pins, see if the fan twitches at all, not even a full rotation just a slight movement. If it does then the board is likely grounded.

To fix/test this you'll need to remove the motherboard from the case. Once the motherboard is out of the case, set it on top of the motherboard box, connect the CPU (and CPU heatsink) and connect the power to the motherboard. Now *short the pins for the power on switch header on the motherboard. See if you can get the system to POST and start giving your error beeps (if it doesn't have an onboard speaker, at least see if the heatsink fan spins up, if it spins up turn the system off then connect the RAM and video card, plug-in a keyboard and monitor and try booting the system up).

You did the above steps but the fans still don't spin up. Try another power supply. If the fans spin up with the new power supply, then your PSU is either too weak to power the CPU properly or it's bad.
If you try another CPU and the same PSU and the fans spin up, then you may have a bad CPU or need a BIOS update.

Crisis

This is from DFI's website, FAW section for your mobo:
Doc. No. : 30002049
Q: How to apply preliminary trouble shooting before submitting motherboard for RMA service? 2004/09/16

Answer :
Following symptoms might be nailed down by "Clear CMOS".

1. Post Card or debug card stops at error code of "C3" upon initializing the clock frequency.
2. FSB has been overclocked too far beyond the overclockability of CPU.
3. There's no display after flashing or upgrading BIOS.
4. There's inadequate setting or overclocking beyond the overclockability of memory CL (CAS Latency).

Following symptoms might be nailed down by replacing BIOS ROM or reprogram the BIOS ROM with programming machine.

1. Post Card or debug card stops after detecting "05 0D 41". The error occurred when retrieving BIOS data. Under this circumstance, 4 diagnostic LEDs light up with no further changes.
2. BIOS might be crashed upon being overclocked too far while "Clear CMOS" still can not nail down the issue.
3. There was sudden power-off during flashing BIOS.
4. BIOS might be crashed when system power was shut off before the system boots up successfully. This symptom mostly takes place on NFII based boards after changing FSB setting in CMOS.

Following symptoms might be nailed down by checking connection of graphics card.

1. One long and two short beeps of warning.
2. Debug Card or Post Card stops upon posting "25" or "2b" upon checking graphics card.

Following symptoms might be nailed down by checking connection of memory module.

1. One constantly long beep of warning.
2. Debug Card or Post Card stops upon posting "C1" or "C6" upon testing memory.

When there's warning sound like ambulance siren, please check following issues.

1. Whether there's loose or poor contact at ATX 20-Pin or 24-pin power connector.
2. Whether there's loose or poor contact at 4-Pin ATX+12V power connector. For senior models, this power connector had not been built on board.
3. "CPU FAN Protection" feature has been enabled while the fan does not rotate.
4. CPU fan has not been connected to CPU FAN header set or has been connected to incorrect header set.
5. User uses the CPU that this motherboard does not support.
6. Forget to apply thermal paste or there's visible gap between top surface of CPU die and bottom surface of heatsink.

If the system still can not boot up after checking the above items, please check with retailers or distributors for arranging RMA service.

Werbung:

slick

Thanx buddy.
Anyway all that was checked , cleared CMOS , checked connectors....PSU worked fine in my PC, same thing with the ram. I cant check the VGA cause we don't have another PCI-ex mobo .....anywho

We RMA-d it today and got this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517

I hope this is gonna work out.

thanx again