Router Question

Hypnos

I just bought a D-link (DI-624 ver. C) router so that my roomate with a laptop could connect using wi-fi. My other roommate, Intro, and I are connected to the router through Cat-5 cables like always.
When we are playing on the Punx server sometimes the router resets and I get the "Warning: Connection Lost" message. When I try to come back in I get a message that says, "Steam User ID already in use". So I have to wait for a few min then it lets me come back in.
I really only play on Punx so I can't say if it happens on all servers or just Punx. I really doubt that it would be an issue realted to Punx.
It happens at random intervals. it doesn't happen everytime I play, but usually occurs at least once in a 2 hour session (sometimes occurs twice).

Any idea why the router would reset in the middle of a game? I've checked the drivers and they are the most current....

I know that I'm prob. going to have to deal with it but thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks again,
Hypnos

Werbung:

Casualty

have you tried updating the firmware? i also have a d-link router and there was a few updates for mine... im sure they have something for you, i have no clue wht would cuase that, but its worth the try

WoRm5406

r00tw0rm said:
I just bought a D-link (DI-624 ver. C) router...
That's not a router. I doubt you have any idea what a router is, or how it works.

You know for a STUPID ASSHOLE you don’t think too much do you?

In the product documentation and sales info it is listed as a router.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6 is a link to their site.

Maybe if you directed more of your energy to helping instead of showing off you wouldn't be hated so much.

I know it is actually not a router in the sense of the word. But as far as the end user knows; they have a router in their house.

In my 12 years of networking I have seen everything from ARCNET to WiFi to Level 7 secure fiber switches. I have used and configured all of the above. I have done all the leg work and background work to get them approved and teaching others at my work how to use and configure, to include setting up, plugging in a patch cable to V-Lan to setting up QOS for VOIP to breaking also.

So actually I don’t really want to hear your little 18 word comments, with out something positive and helpful. But as you are not going to get k-lined or banned because of "goggle proxy" as you put it... (Yes I didn’t quote you exactly) then why don’t you help instead of stirring the shit?

Thanks....

With as much info as you seem to have, do some good with it.

DigitalSword

your router problem

Yo,

First of all, worm, hes a tool, ignorance is bliss, fuck em...

now for the router issue, There is alot of D-link hardware that ahs issues with the ports for steam and CZ so here is my advice for you:

go to www.steampowered.com, SUPPORt search for setting up my router and youll fidn numerous links eventually youll come across one about a d-Link router, so take a peek at that, also worm is right about the firmware, def look into upgrading it, firmware is basically the routers internal drivers, and finally, you will see this on steampoweered but do it anyway check out www.portforward.com and look into setting things upthrough there advice as well ...if all else fails, turn ur shit back in and get a Linksys Wrt54g, its what i have and it works blisffully..

any other q's feel free to ask...

|)igitalSwor|)

G

You know for a STUPID ASSHOLE you don’t think too much do you?

In the product documentation and sales info it is listed as a router.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6 is a link to their site.
I like how you defend it's title here, but... (see below)

I know it is actually not a router in the sense of the word. But as far as the end user knows; they have a router in their house.
... agree with me, here. Way to shove your foot deeper into your cake hole. Oh, and don't kid yourself, you ARE the end user.

In my 12 years of networking I have seen everything from ARCNET to WiFi to Level 7 secure fiber switches. I have used and configured all of the above. I have done all the leg work and background work to get them approved and teaching others at my work how to use and configure, to include setting up, plugging in a patch cable to V-Lan to setting up QOS for VOIP to breaking also.
I'm going to extend you an incredibly sensible gesture to lick my ass while I pat you on the head for being such a well-versed said "networking guru".

Aren't I considerate?

With as much info as you seem to have, do some good with it.
I do plenty of good with it. It makes my living. However, I'm not here to babysit these idiots. I make it a point not to embrace stupidity.

Hypnos

Thanks for the replys guys (esp. rootworm - your insight and intellectual comments leave me in awe), I'm going to see if it will work...I'll post back after I try everything.

Hypnos

Fenire

rootworm has alot of info in his brain but no knowledge of how to put it to good use he is the center of the universe and the mst intelegent person in the world hell he would probably insult bill gates and call him retarded... and as for anyone licking his ass well thats not haapening the layers of fat have permently bonded with his computer chair and if he ever got off the chair he wouldnt be able to see it till 3 years of slim fast

Hypnos

hey,
I took my router back to Best Buy and got a new one. What's cool is that it is now $10 cheaper than when I bought it in Jan. So I gpt a $10 gift card PLUS there is now a $20 rebate. So I have a new router that is working much better than the one before PLUS Best Buy gave me $30!

Thanks for the help and advice...esp. digital (thanks for responding) and Rootworm (you are the :evil:, but not much you can do about it...if you believe in the nature over nurture....but I don't hold it against you)

thanks again,
Hypnos

G

First and foremost, Fenire, have you ever heard of punctuation?

rootworm has alot of info in his brain but no knowledge of how to put it to good use
Wrong.

he is the center of the universe and the mst intelegent person in the world
My thoughts, exactly.

Deviant

You forgot that he likes to go to gaming forums and try to piss people off. Maybe it's him trying to get attention that he doesn't get at home (which could be very true b/c everyone replies to him and he has the time to bitch and argue with people he doesn't nor ever will know). Why do you come here root? Do you really feel that your day is not complete until posting shit on a gaming forum?

Fenire

i was being sarcastic and nooooo whats punctuation? (again sarcasm) why would i waste time on a lame fuck ass like you? and yes you are incredibly stupid.. especialy if you dont know the different degrees of stupidity there is knowing shit and knowing how to use it properly and you have no clue how to use it so your stupid and in denial.

waits to be quoted and insulted then remebers he has better things to do.

G

The mere concept of comparing brain pans with you would be insulting to anyone who possess intelligence greater than that of a trained monkey. However, I'll gladly accept. Let's talk routers, shall we? How about TCP/UDP, stateful firewall inspection and application layer intelligence, and how it all can be discussed in the same topic. Now, I'll start, and I want YOU to add something intelligent to the conversation. Sound good? mmmkay.

The sequential port designation of the source port is not a function of the remote server, it's a function of the node. It occurs in every connection made from that node, regardless of TCP or UDP designation. The whole "incrementing source port" thingy is more commonly refered to by people who aren't messageboard monkeys talking networking as, "ephemeral ports".

An inbound access control lists can possess up to and including layer 4 information. Layer 4, of the OSI model, meaning transport layer or otherwise known as the layer where ports are defined, along with a dozen other components which aren't important to this discussion. HTTP, uses port 80...that's a "Layer 4" thing. Got it?

Now, an access list has to be explicitely told what to permit/deny inbound or outbound, depending on configuration. You can configure the "established" parameter in an ACL and it will verify the incoming TCP packet is not have the SYN bit set, but rather the SYN-ACK, ACK, FIN, or PUSH. SYN designates the first packet in a communication and thus, is not part of an already established connection. The "established" parameter ensures that any connection (TCP) that originated from the inside is allowed to return.

This DOESN'T apply to UDP because UDP, unlike TCP, isn't stateful. Which is to say, there is no three-way handshake that takes place before a connection is established. There is no UDP version of SYN, or FIN...or anything in between. UDP employs unreliable delivery. As such, you cannot configure an "established" parameter because the router or firewall has no means of determining which packet in a UDP was the first, or the second, or the three hundredth forty ninth, and so forth.

Without the ability to permit any internally originated UDP back in - you have to explicitely permit which ports you want to permit. Since your nodes ephemeral port could be anything in this range:

1024-65535

You'd have to permit the whole range in order to safely allow connections in each and every time. However, you'd never want to do that. You wouldn't want to poke a hole that large into your ACL or firewall ruleset, it negates the point of having access control. If you're going to do that, you might as well create a rule in your router that states.

Source - Any
Destination - Any
Protocol - IP
Action - Permit

Then, you don't have to worry about UDP (or) TCP sessions being denied at your perimeter. You're also sitting plainly out on the Internet.

But, I doubt you have the brainpan to understand the details of that discussion. You'd best just stick to silly little Linksys devices, which are Cisco Systems hardware, and think you've got an actual router sitting at home and that said "router" is actually capable of.

Your move.

Satan

WOW someone really has no life, probably one of those guys who as a kid had no friends and was made fun of. He is now dishing it back cause he has nothing better to do.

Werbung:
G

I have no life because I know this? lol. It makes my living, child. It's my JOB to know this. What do you do for a living?