Story Contest

Fladian

Not those kind of names, Escurial. I'm just focusing on normal names such as Chris or Danny, to name two wild examples (happen to be classmates I am chatting with at this very moment).

Unfortunately, I ran out of inspiration after a while. Not only do I try to avoid using names of people I know personally, - you'll never or will hardly ever see the names of 'Denise', 'Cindy' or 'Wesley' - in a story, which will already shorten my choices, I also try to pick a name that fits the personality as much as possible. Names that I don't like are not used often either, think of names as 'Fred' (like that guard of a story of mine), 'Bob' or 'Oscar.' They're names that have little to no feelings and often make me imagine a person which I rarely, or never used.

Making a single character isn't too hard, making two doesn't really pose a problem either. But after making those two, I find it quite hard to come up with names that fit the personality of that person. Just yesterday, I have been discussing with a friend what would be a good name for a character of mine. I was planning on using 'Jalte' for a while, but when I thought about what I read at 'Fiction Factor', and people are perhaps not able to know how to pronounce the name 'Jalte', I tried to find a different name for my main character. After talking for about an hour with him, and someone else, we still didn't really come up with a fitting name. Right now, the best sounding name is probably 'Marcel Julien', but that might chance at any time. The main supporting characters have names I could come up with in a short time. Perhaps it is because they are character I've always wanted to use before or because of something else I might not be familiar with right now. Whichever it is, they are made and will prove to be no real problems to me.

As for fantasy stories... well... I haven't written one in a while now. If I would, it would probably be based of the history of 'the Lands' (the world that still doesn't have a name. Maybe I should just call it 'the Lands') again, immediately relating to the story If, and only if and Thet-Nirio... though they are practically the same story, only told from a different view and from a different place. Yet I haven't finished both.
As for characters... well, all main characters have be premade by me already anyway. I didn't really need a name generator for most of them, though Herasiel is a name that is only partly from a name generator. Raniel is a name from a generator too.
I'm more interesting in writing a story from this current time though. I hate futuristic and sci-fi stories, so you won't see any of those from me.

Anyway, as for what I am writing. I got a little more than half a page at the moment.

Werbung:

Kem Rixen

I finally got a concept and started out on my story, I have very high expectations for myself so don't worry about poor quality. I've also been writing a ton recently so I'm not out of practice, at the same time I'm not burnt out from writing too much.

Undead_Lives

Great, hope we get a real good competition going on here.
I still haven't started :p Cause I am King of Procrastination. :p
Anyways, I only use name generators to get my mind working to make up better names. Sometimes all I do is I edit the names a bit to make them fit.
And all of those long names, just split them in two :p

Fladian

Agh!
I'm still stuck on half a page. I could continue easily, most of the story is already done in my head, but I want to write it in the best way I can write it. If I rush it, the quality will certainly drop, so I am taking all the time necessary to make it. Fact is, that I'm starting to get a bit irritated by the extremely slow progress it makes. For the last few days, I haven't been able to add even a single sentence to it yet. Which is quite... irritating... especially for someone like me.

I've asked the help of two friends of mine who both have helped me before with other stories. Their comments on it are very helpful, but both agree on the fact that this is one of the best I've ever written. Which is a compliment I appreciate a lot. Fact is, though they can rate of what I write and tell what to improve, they are not helping me how to continue the story, which is the problem I am with now.
Just a '"Marcel!" was shouted from nearby.' is what is causing me a lot of problems. It sounds dull, in opposite to all other lines. Though this is a problem that has occurred before while writing, all of them has been solved, and I am confident in saying that this one will be solved in time as well. But seeing as this isn't really the first, and all others took a fair amount of time as well, it is starting to annoy me. Not to mention that I still don't have a fitting name for my main character, but Marcel will have to do for the time being.

If it continues with this pace of progress, which I do not expect, this story won't be finished in the time that the contest ends. If I am running out of time, I'll jump back to my backup plan and make something of that.
On a little side note. Out of pure stress, I have been writing another story, (untitled, at the moment) though that has nothing to do with the contest. It is possible that it'll be posted some time soon... and if not, then you can assume it was just pure nonsense what was written in it.

Easter is getting near. Good luck with writing.

Fladian

Everyone who writes hates a writers block. I've suffered from it more than once, one of them for a very, very long time.

It does? Oh man, I'd better hurry then. :p

Undead_Lives

Any ideas as to what the date should be?
The current one is May 21 I believe.
EDIT: Whoops, it doesn't start tomorrow. The other contest ENDS tomorrow. This one starts April 20, not the 15th :p

Fladian

How about a month? That should provide the people with enough time, seeing as most of us already started before the contest started.

Fladian

Alright, how about making it official then? I mean, even if the contest hasn't started yet, it is possible to add it in the first post so people won't get confused about it.

Anyway, as for my progress of the story. There finally has been some progress, partly thanks to Hunter_Destruction. I didn't have any plans for today except to have a nice day to rest because my body is aching all over, but it ended up in having a long talk with Hunter, which also involved me trying to continue my story in the mean time. Though there might be people who expect me to write a page or two in a day of time, which could be the case in my average story, but this one is different. I am aiming all my points to this one, trying to make it better than all others at any cost. Therefore, I've created two sentences to the story... and another one, which I am not satisfied of, and will probably be removed shortly.
If I'm not nearing an end five days before the deadline, I'll go to my backup plan I mentioned earlier.

Werbung: