talked to a E-machines tec.

Fiero

i was chattin with a tec support person, he told me there was no current update for my video driver and suggested i purchase a Janton PX660gt PCIE express 128 mb. I currently have a GeForce 6100 PCI-Express slot available

Comments or suggestions please

Werbung:

CrisisVT

Would you mind clarifying your question.

What do you mean by "update", there are certainly driver updates for your video card which should be available from both your manufacture's website and nVidia's.

Also, what are you looking to fix/accomplish with whatever type of 'upgrade' you're looking for? If you're looking to increase game performance, upgrading your video card may or may not be the best option depending on the rest of your system specs'.

Fiero

OK here's the situtation, I got on E-Machines and chat with tec support to look for Newer versions of drivers, codec, or whatnot cause when i play Source i only get 12-20fps. He told me that there are no available driver updates that he could help me with. He told me to contact Nvidia website for V-card updates. He also said that i should purchase the v-card he suggested and it would fix my problem. My question to eveyone is Should i waste my money gettin a new v-card? OR Is there another alternative?

I found current updates for the nVidia Geforce 6100 and for realtek and I updated direct X, I still see no change in game play.

UPDATE: Just got back from Curcuit City, the guy there told me my problem wasnt the video card that it was prolly caused by my AMD Sempron processor. He thinks it cant handle Source and I should think about buyin a new PC if i wish to get good performance outta Source.

THIS IS WHAT THE FRON OF MY COMPUTER SAYS

e-Machines W3107 Desktop PC / Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 Preinstalled

AMD Sempron Processor 3100+
1.80 GHz
1600 MHz FSB
256 KB L2 Cache

Optical Drive
DVDRW 16x Double Layer
Multi-format drive

Hard Drive
100 GB ATA Hard Drive

Memory
512MB DDR SDRAM

8-in-1
Digital Memory Card Reader

Ports
5 usb

Modem
56 K ITU V.92 Ready Fax/Modem
Actual speeds may vary

Video
nVIDIA GeForce 6100
PCI-Express Slot Available

Network
10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN

i dont know if this helps anyone to help me, but its worth a shot!

imported_SuXoR

That dude is full of BS and wants to sell you a new computer. The processor is more than enough to run source. Get a better vid card. Then go back and kick that guy in the nuts.

Fiero

In Cz i have a steady 90-100fps with vsync off. with it on i get a flat 60fps. I have no loss. no choke. no problems at all.

Where as Source i have between 12-20fps with no loss no choke. Thats why i'm scratchin my head soo hard. GRRRR WTF.

I am definatley gonna upgrade to at LEAST 1G of memory, and as far as the video card goes, Thank you curry! :)

CrisisVT

Alright, well the Semperon is a weak processor, but not terrible. In this case, a video card would be your best upgrade path.

Shopping in-store is a sever waste of money and (no offense) since you're using an e-Machine, you probably have a budget to work with. If you post a price range, I can suggest the best card for your dollar.

Fiero

no price range really, I was walkin threw wal-mart and said fuck it I'm sick of my old computer, its 4yrs old and Wayy outdated, I went back to electornics and saw the only PC that had a video card "not a chip" and bought it. So If you could find me one that best fits my system that i listed above, I'd appreciate it.

CrisisVT

Hell with no budget get this bad boy
14-121-213-03.JPG

ASUS Dual GeForce 7800GT EN7800GT DUAL/2DHTV/512M Dual Core Video Card - Retail
$812.00

In the high-end you've got the nVidia 7800GTX and ATi 1900XTX series cards.

More realistically a 7800GT Extreme is a very good card for the price
Leadtek GeForce 7800GT WinFast PX7800GT Extreme TDH Video Card - Retail
$294.00 this is the card I personally use.

In the $200.00 range are cards like the 7600GT and ATi x800.

Below $200.00 there are a lot of different cards with different specs and advantages, so if you want something in that range let me know.
(All these prices are being pulled from NewEgg.com)

Another thing you'll need to consider when upgrading cards, is if your existing power supply can handle a new high end card. I'll need to look up the PS in your eMachine. I don't think it will, since right now you're using onboard graphics, which means that basically top-end cards (200.00 and up) may be out of the question.

CuRRyINaHuRRy

Fiero, don't listen to Crisis; he is out to rob you =P. Just go with the 6800 I linked you; that is the cheapest ( I believe) you can get the 6800 for. Plus your not gonna play on 1600X1200 with AF AND AA like some people *cough* Crisis *cough*. With 6800, you will be able to play CS:S excellent. However, if you have the money, don't waste it on that monster (=P) just get a new PC.

imported_SuXoR

Crisis,

Do not recomment a 7800gt. For the same price point, one can get a 7900gt that has performance on par with a 7800gtx 256 meg. As a plus, the 7900 is fabbed with the new 90 nm process and uses less power and creates less heat output than the 7800 series.

I just got the xfx 7900gt extreme that is clocked at 550 core 816 mem. It is a 24 pipe card (as opposed to the 7800gt 20 pipes) and runs faster than the 7800gtx 256 meg. I paid $350 for the card.

Werbung:

mYth

SuXoR said:
Crisis,

Do not recomment a 7800gt. For the same price point, one can get a 7900gt that has performance on par with a 7800gtx 256 meg. As a plus, the 7900 is fabbed with the new 90 nm process and uses less power and creates less heat output than the 7800 series.

I just got the xfx 7900gt extreme that is clocked at 550 core 816 mem. It is a 24 pipe card (as opposed to the 7800gt 20 pipes) and runs faster than the 7800gtx 256 meg. I paid $350 for the card.

Damn it! Now i gotta upgrade again......$700 shouldn't be too bad..... 8)