Warcraft 3 Anvil Becoming Less Wacraft 3?

Undead_Lives

Hm, good, I like how this is getting into a heated debate :p
That the site has less with Warcraft could be expected, as Warcraft (itself) is getting less and less. Trying to attract people from other places is not exactly my way of dealing with this kind of stuff, though I must also admit that I don't know any other way to attract more members to Anvil. Therefore, this will have to do.[/b]
Yes but what kind of people are we attracting? If they see a bunch of non-Warcraft related sections and they sign up for that reason, are they going to post in the Warcraft forums a lot? Probably not.
Now that wc3anvil is our full, official forum, members will definitely get to see more stuff from us. Actually, I was thinking that perhaps we could have a section of the forum that only registered wc3anvil members can see, and perhaps another section for members with 250+ posts.[/b]
That's good, but one project that won't come out for another year (..?) won't help currently.
Also, PR has their own forums, supporting them isn't really necessary. Even wc3c has now just posted a link to their forums.
That's making a rash, and in my opinion, wrong assumption. Your assumption being that people only come on for X minutes of their day, never more, never less. With the new forums you assume they'll have to split that bit of time out over many more forums, thus ignoring others. This assumption is very far off from the truth, people, in general, stay at forums for as long as topics interest them. With more topics to discuss they'll stay longer, contribute more, and help Anvil grow.[/b]
That's not what I'm assuming at all. What I'm assuming is what you said, that they will post in forums that attract them, but when they are attracted to the site because of the non-Warcraft sections, that's where they will most likely post, thus not contributing to the Warcraft sections a bit, or very little.

Werbung:

Moagrim

I think that it's a good thing that this site is branching out from being almost purely wc3. We all started having a similar interest (warcraft/fantsay) and have discovered that we have fr more in common than first expected. The new forums aiding in this social movement.

I, for one have not played warcraft 3 in quite some time (though have recently reinstalled it on my dad's computer) so I have little to contirbute to discussion concerning warcraft.

Kem Rixen

Yes but what kind of people are we attracting? If they see a bunch of non-Warcraft related sections and they sign up for that reason, are they going to post in the Warcraft forums a lot? Probably not.[/b]
What kind of person would be attracted to a WarCraft 3 site to only go and talk in the off topic section. Easily the majority of the forums are WarCraft 3-related, anyone who wasn't interested in these things would be put off by that. If someone only wanted to talk about general discussion topics they would head to that sort of site. These new forums will only make people stay here longer and increase activity, it won't bring non-WarCraft 3 players.

That's good, but one project that won't come out for another year (..?) won't help currently.[/b]
But deep down, he has a good point. Once these huge mods are released, individual forums for them would help a bit.

Also, PR has their own forums, supporting them isn't really necessary. Even wc3c has now just posted a link to their forums.[/b]
So do Blizzard, and yet there are a ton of WarCraft 3 sites, I could easily the same thing happening when these large mods are put out.

Undead_Lives

What kind of person would be attracted to a WarCraft 3 site to only go and talk in the off topic section. Easily the majority of the forums are WarCraft 3-related, anyone who wasn't interested in these things would be put off by that. If someone only wanted to talk about general discussion topics they would head to that sort of site. These new forums will only make people stay here longer and increase activity, it won't bring non-WarCraft 3 players.[/b]
Why, people you see here everyday. Almost everybody posts the most in the Chat section now. Yes, they like Warcraft, but where do they talk most? All of those new sections.
But deep down, he has a good point. Once these huge mods are released, individual forums for them would help a bit.[/b]
Yes but that's a long way off from now.
So do Blizzard, and yet there are a ton of WarCraft 3 sites, I could easily the same thing happening when these large mods are put out.[/b]
That's good then. But we're talking about now. And I don't disagree that having GTW here is awesome, but they contribute in their own forums (understandable) yet very little in others.

Alekill

yes most people do post in the chat forum the most but there is still the other forums noone is posting in the others becuase there are no topics to post about the others are mostly help things but most of are members can make good mpas so they go to of topic when there not making hterer map or getting help but when there is a topic in the other forums people go to it i just think people are umm to lazy or unwilling to make there own topic.

Undead_Lives

Like you? :p
But currently we need more members that are Warcraft nuts. Specifically more JASS users, and more artists (skinners and modellers) so we can get more tutorials and more topics there, including contests.

TerranUp16

My apologies for that, as I've been mainly tangled up in GTW as-of-late, and if you'll excuse once again what sounds like an arrogant statement, I find nearly all current WC3 stuff obsolete, and really find it hard to truly enjoy any of the current WC3 maps, so I'll admit that I don't contribute much to the current WC3 discussions, for in many ways I've almost separated myself from it.

Anyway, support does not merely come in the form of forums. We actually could have errected our own forums elsewhere, but were convinced by Arkidas to stay here, and establish this as our official base of operations. Support comes in other forms, such as simply spreading the word of the mods. That alone may aide to stem the constant loss of people from WC3. Every day, some poor sap gives up WC3 and goes off to devote his life to some newer game, that is usually WoW. Merely mentioning GTW or PR may keep that sorry sap here. Talking about the projects outside of their own forums helps as well. Wc3c does indeed have a link to PR (but do note that they are hosting PR anyway), but other than that link, it's barely discussed at all. It almost doesn't exist.

For GTW, we can accept that for now, being that we've released very little, and most of what we have has been text. We plan to change that soon enough. We are creating a flash website, and some sweet new material to go along with it. We're also working on a trailer, which we believe will be pretty mindblowing.

Anyway, it is true enough though that PR has indeed alienated some of its fans by flatly turning away needed support. With GTW, we do not intend to do that. Ultimately, GTW is a project for the WC3 community, created by the WC3 community.

Undead_Lives

Yes that's true, you do attract a few members. But in general, all of your team doesn't post in any of the other sections, and most don't post much in your own forums anyways.

TerranUp16

Anvil has only recently (in the past couple of days) become our full base of operations. Before then we operated outside of anvil, and used the anvil boards occassionally. That is all changing now.

Werbung: