Originality of the media

Tenebrae

So I've got this "friend" who is one of those guys who has to make every single aspect of his life, and the lifes of those around him, more complicated than it needs to be. I was just talking with him about movies these days, and I ended up asking him if he'd ever seen The Matrix (which I think is a very good movie.... the first one is, anyway). He never has seen it, but he thinks that just because it is a futuristic SciFi movie makes it totally unoriginal. HE's saying that when he has no idea what it's about! He won't even believe me when I say that the special effects are some of the best (or they were at the time the movie was made).

So then he got into this really annoying speech about how there is no originality left in the media, which I think is the biggest BS i've ever heard! There's plenty of originality left in the media! It just takes a unique mind to think of it.

Honestly, if my friend lives his entire life thinking like that, then he's gonna live a very miserable life.

Ya' dig?

Werbung:

Kem Rixen

I wouldn't say there isn't any originality left, but there is certainly a lot less than there used to be. Anyways, I loved The Matrix movies, if you watch all three in order they are far better than seperete entities. The first one is easily the best though.

Fladian

So I've got this "friend" who is one of those guys who has to make every single aspect of his life, and the lifes of those around him, more complicated than it needs to be. [/b]
Sounds familiar.

I was just talking with him about movies these days, and I ended up asking him if he'd ever seen The Matrix (which I think is a very good movie.... the first one is, anyway). He never has seen it, but he thinks that just because it is a futuristic SciFi movie makes it totally unoriginal. HE's saying that when he has no idea what it's about! He won't even believe me when I say that the special effects are some of the best (or they were at the time the movie was made).[/b]
I can relate to that. I am not too fond on The Matrix, to be honest. Not because of the concept or anything else, but I just generally dislike futuristic stuff and SciFi. Regardless, it's hard to make such a conclusion ("conslusion" - a classmate) without seeing the movie, as it truly is quality, regardless of what genre is preferred. Though I remain with my opinion... not my type of movie.

So then he got into this really annoying speech about how there is no originality left in the media, which I think is the biggest BS i've ever heard! There's plenty of originality left in the media! It just takes a unique mind to think of it.[/b]
In a way, he is right. The originallity is slowly dripping away, especially compared to the past. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad though. To use movies as example, I can name quite a number of movies I liked which were quite cliche. But it is hard to say that it is "the biggest BS" because it is somewhat the truth.

Honestly, if my friend lives his entire life thinking like that, then he's gonna live a very miserable life.[/b]
At some time, he'll trip. Don't worry about that.

He reminds me a bit of a character from a game. "My life is in vain," and "we're all doomed."

Upon seeing this thread, I was first thinking of something else. The orignality of the media, but a little more extended. It is no secret that I am interested in the radio and the dj's of them, one of them being my idol - the man I look up to. Which is also related to "media." Edwin and Giel remain quite original...

As for that "friend," well, there's not too much you have to think about of it. If you are really annoyed by it, send him to me, and I'll have a talk with him. :p

Undead_Lives

No originality in the media? I wouldn't go that far. Losing it? Oh ya. But that's just going to keep happening, after all if you have so many movies/shows out, you'll eventually start to see similarities just due to the massive amount of already made movies/shows.

Tenebrae

If you are really annoyed by it, send him to me, and I'll have a talk with him. :p
[/b]

Eh, even if I did, it's not worth it. He's too stubborn.

I have to agree, the media is definetely losing its originality. After all, there are only so many different stories one can use. But I think my friend's problem is that he looks too much at the bigger picture, and doesn't bother to notice the little details that make it interesting and unigque.

For example: Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Star Wars, etc. What do they all have in common? You've got some uber powerful "Dark Lord"... or AI computer... that is trying to take over the world, and a hero, chosen by "fate", destined to take the badguy down. Tons of stories have that main conflict. But you've also got tons of differences that make them follow a separate story. For example: LotR- You got a four-foot tall guy taking on the most powerful being in the world. The Matrix- A super uber powerful dude who gets his powers from a computer program, and his enemy also happens to be a super computer program.

I think ya get my meaning..... Actually, I think i'm trying to prove about ten different points at once... i'm kinda lost....

But anyway, I guess one of my big points is, even if it may not be original, that doesn't make it a boring story, and they're all different in some way or another.

Besides, I think LotR was one of the biggest influences on modern fantasy fiction.

Undead_Lives

Of course there are themes. For instance the "big Dark lord" and the "hero chosen" are all main focal points of the fantasy/sci-fi genre. But the stories usually end in similarities there.

Tenebrae

Exactly my point! But my friend.... (I don't even know why I call him that.. I hate his guts), anyway, this kid keeps saying that its not worth watching the movie because they all have the same conflict. *rolls eyes*, I wish I had a NORMAL friend that I could chat with and not have to endure endless mind games....

Undead_Lives

Hehe, I have to say, mind games are fun. Especially when you're the one playing :p
But on the other hand, you can do what I always do. Say this:
"Great, you have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm not changing mine, so stop preaching and get on with your life."
Should shut him up :p

Fladian

Eh, even if I did, it's not worth it. He's too stubborn.[/b]

You ought to know how stubborn I can be. ;) (I'll send someone else after 'm)

I have to agree, the media is definetely losing its originality. After all, there are only so many different stories one can use. But I think my friend's problem is that he looks too much at the bigger picture, and doesn't bother to notice the little details that make it interesting and unigque.[/b]
True, it is losing originality, but that doesn't mean all potential is out of it. To use my favorite again, radio. Edwin, my favorite radio dj rarely does anything original (besides his imitations, which are classics) yet he is still the best radio dj of the Netherlands (not argumentable, he has a 3% lead on the number 2) and didn't show any sign of losing that position the last few years. Edwin isn't media-horny either, and certainly wouldn't stand in the spotlight if he could avoid it. Let's take another example then, Giel. Giel is extremely talented, and everyone knows it. In opposite of Edwin, he likes to be in the spotlight and gains quite a boost of popularity that way. He is quite original with what he does, yet he is not even close to reach Edwin's popularity.

Originally, they were both from the same radio station. Edwin left after a while... Giel stayed.

For example: Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Star Wars, etc. What do they all have in common? [/b]
Ironically, you named three movies I didn't really like. :p So, in my point of view, that's what they have in common. ;)

But anyway, I guess one of my big points is, even if it may not be original, that doesn't make it a boring story, and they're all different in some way or another.[/b]
True, but some people still don't like that. The concept is in the end the same, and it always remains the question if the person who watches/listens to it is interested in it. If they never got moved by it, then regardless how much variation is given to it, it just wouldn't get interesting.

Besides, I think LotR was one of the biggest influences on modern fantasy fiction.
Everyone their own opinion.

Exactly my point! But my friend.... (I don't even know why I call him that.. I hate his guts), anyway, this kid keeps saying that its not worth watching the movie because they all have the same conflict. *rolls eyes*, I wish I had a NORMAL friend that I could chat with and not have to endure endless mind games....[/b]
That would be hard to say. This would also mean living. How often have you done the same process in the way of living. I am talking about eating, sleeping and other primary situations. He would find them quite boring too. :p

Hehe, I have to say, mind games are fun. Especially when you're the one playing :p[/b]
It's a lot more fun to contradict someone. I, for one, love such.

Ohhh... I remember the time that the two biggest radio dj's of the Netherlands had a talk with the Minister-President of the Netherlands. They completely embarrassed him. ^^ They contradicted him on nearly every word and eventually made sure that he wasn't able to talk at all anymore... *sigh* I love them. :p

"Great, you have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm not changing mine, so stop preaching and get on with your life."
Should shut him up :p[/b]
Ignoring him should usually work too.

It's a bit of a shame to say that, what you mentioned though...

Undead_Lives

It's a bit of a shame to say that, what you mentioned though...[/b]
Why is it a shame to say that?
Hm, contradicting people can be fun, but only if you're right. Which I usually am :p. But only on certain subjects. I've learned to shut my mouth when it comes to something I don't know anything about.

Fladian

Snake a... what? I have a free ticket to go to the cinema (only one, though), so I'll probably go sometime... is that a recommended movie? :p

Why is it a shame to say that?
[/b]
For starters, you're not the type of person to say that. Secondly, all fun is taken out of it that way.

Werbung: