Public Speaking

Werbung:

Fladian

Sats?

To get back on topic, I'd like to give it a try some time. To stand in front of a crowd of people I don't know and... uh... keep a presentation. A friend of mine told me a while ago she had to keep a presentation in front of her (so, my old class) and a few other classes about a subject of her choice. She told me she couldn't do it because she would just simply "break down in front of a crowd", but in the end, she managed to do it quite well and ended up with a sufficient grade.
I wonder how I would end up doing it. I remember keeping a small presentation in front of my old class together with a few other classmates. Most of them stopped halfway because they didn't know what to talk about. I went on a little longer and tried to involve them in my subjects, but to no avail.

Fladian

A little while ago, I started to make some deals and promises to some people I know. I promised some people at work that I'll pay them in money if I wouldn't graduate this year, just like I would be forced to listen to all kind of music I... uh... don't like.
On the other hand, I promised a kiss to a specific girl and some other kind of stuff to others. But the reason why I revived this thread is that I promised a classmate (now old classmate) that I would hold a speech in front of the school if I would graduate. Just so you know, I graduated.

Well, in theory, I wouldn't do that bad in front of a crowd; but in this case, I'll be standing in front of a crowd who:
1. Don't know me.
2. Don't have a clue what I am planning to do.
3. That I don't know what to hold a speech about. :p

I am so going to regret all those promises...

Fladian

I revived this thread on purpose, Ben. I could make a new thread about it, but I prefer using threads that already exist. Therefore, I opened it again.

As for what you said, Undead, improvising. Well, improvising is by far one of the things I'm good at. But I wonder if I can think of enough things to say at that moment, not to mention that there are... quite a lot of people who don't know me, and I don't know them. You know... I'll quote a few people who reacted upon hearing it:
"I'll be traveling throughout the entire country just to see you there."
"Are you really able to talk in front of such a crowd? Even when knowing you could make a mistake? If you make a mistake, the girl you like hears it too. She's in that crowd too."
"I think you're crazy."
Coincidence that they were all said by girls, mind you. :p Most guys don't seem to be as shocked as they are.

I am really going to regret all those promises...

Raiju

"I'll be traveling throughout the entire country just to see you there."[/b]

If she is not your sister... :infernal:

I am really going to regret all those promises...[/b]

Jajaja i remember you saying that youre a "man of word", you can regret them, but fulfill them.
Make a big pose and kick ass, at least you have capacity of doing it. If someone start to mess your speech, mark the face and give him some personal education after :infernal:

Fladian

If she is not your sister... :infernal: [/b]
No, she's my girlfriend. :infernal:

Jajaja i remember you saying that youre a "man of word", you can regret them, but fulfill them.[/b]
Unfortunately, yes. After I got 18, I never broke any promises as far as I can remember. It's something I like to keep myself to. ^^ You see, I want to become more reliable. :p

Make a big pose and kick ass, at least you have capacity of doing it. If someone start to mess your speech, mark the face and give him some personal education after :infernal:
[/b]
Well, that's not really what I planned. Though I'll definitely name some people during it.
"Erik, have you decided? Are you going to quit school, or are you still going to continue?" And "Elianne, don't leave after this. I still owe you some money," are two things I just have to say. :p I wonder if I can get open enough to talk clearly though. In cases such as these, I'm a little insecure... well, a little...

Raiju

You see, I want to become more reliable. :p[/b]
MORE realiable? Say Fladian, you were not reliable before 18? ^^

"Erik, have you decided? Are you going to quit school, or are you still going to continue?" And "Elianne, don't leave after this. I still owe you some money," are two things I just have to say. [/b]

At least say that in a funny tone, and you might win some laughs (good laughs i mean), if not of these persons, from all the crowd :infernal:

That "girl you like" that your friend said, is it your girlfriend? :infernal:

Fladian

Well Flad all I can say is...
Talk to your...well whatever teacher that can help you with a speech :p
[/b]
That would be my Dutch teacher. Great guy, very nice, but very naive, unfortunately. I am hoping to have a nice chat with him coming monday... just like three others teachers. One of them which I owe my thanks and two others who will be heavily insulted by me. So much for my good name among teachers.

MORE realiable? Say Fladian, you were not reliable before 18? ^^[/b]
Not very. Promises I made were rarely kept, they were just a matter of saying, somehting I didn't give much more interest in. Trusting me to do specific things is something that was not the greatest idea either. That changed pretty much.

At least say that in a funny tone, and you might win some laughs (good laughs i mean), if not of these persons, from all the crowd :infernal: [/b]
Oh, I know perfectly how to bring it. The two I mentioned were only examples, there are a few more I have to do. After spending a year with everyone I will name, well, that's enough to tell a (little) story about them, don't you think? :p Even if they won't like it. :p Most of them isn't coming back anyway.

That "girl you like" that your friend said, is it your girlfriend? :infernal:[/b]
No, it's someone else, unfortunately. But because I don't have a chance with her, it's best that I forget her as fast as possible. Don't take it wrong, it's not like I don't love my "girlfriend," though it are mostly her words than mine.

Moagrim

No, it's someone else, unfortunately. But because I don't have a chance with her, it's best that I forget her as fast as possible. Don't take it wrong, it's not like I don't love my "girlfriend," though it are mostly her words than mine.
[/b]
Its ok to like someone else when your seeing somone,as long as you don't cheat and spend more time on your real gf,lol.What do you mean by "it are mostly her words than mine"??

And On-Topic now; i have no difficulty speaking to large crowds and find improvisin extremely useful as I have freestyled raps (laugh if you want,but they're actually quite good) with my friends,its great fun :D and I'm probs the best.

Fladian

Its ok to like someone else when your seeing somone,as long as you don't cheat and spend more time on your real gf,lol.[/b]
She knows that I have more feelings for a specific other girl than her and we are both... uh... satisfied. Fact is that the girl that I like (probably) knows that I like her too, but there is very little I can do. Especially since a few days ago.
You see, for the entire school year, two guys tried to get together with her. Those two guys tried to talk as negative as possible about each other while she was around, and for good reason. A few days ago one of those guys went out to eat with her, and by coincidence, the other guy showed up. Because there was no other option, the other guy who was there first had to leave early, meaning that they were left together.
"All cards are played," he had every possibility, chance and reason to "crush" the other guy. Name me one reason why he wouldn't after trying to get rid of each other for an entire year of time. This was the moment both of those guys were waiting for to get rid of each other... especially now "all cards are already played."

That I spend more time with me "real gf" is true on the one side, but false on the other. In opposite of the girl I truly like, she and I don't really live close by (2 - 3 hour trip with the train). I promised that I'll go by somewhat more next year when the football season started again. My intention is to visit a few games of Heerenveen, which is not too far from where she's from.

What do you mean by "it are mostly her words than mine"??[/b]
It are mostly her words that we are together than that it are mine.

And On-Topic now; i have no difficulty speaking to large crowds and find improvisin extremely useful as I have freestyled raps (laugh if you want,but they're actually quite good) with my friends,its great fun :D and I'm probs the best.
[/b]
That's good to hear, but are you able to do the same when under pressure or in front of a crowd that will probably be negative towards you?

As for those promises I've made. I took a day out yesterday to fulfill all my promises except for one... that speech. I'm kind of planning on what to say in it, but that will mostly depend on how the problems are going to unfold monday. If I can get people to graduate monday, then the speech will have different subjects than it has now.
I'm a bit nervous...

Moagrim

"My intention is to visit a few games of Heerenveen, which is not too far from where she's from."

Lol,football and girls,thats not a bad combination ;) .

No,Iprobably couldn't improvise for all that long,in front of a crowd of haters.But hopefully I'll never find myself in that situation :) .

"It are mostly her words that we are together than that it are mine. "

I just didn't get that bit because of the grammar shold of been -"They are mostly her words that we are together,than they are mine."

Anyway,best of luck with your speech,or hope it went well if its been already. :D

Werbung:

Fladian

Lol,football and girls,thats not a bad combination ;) .[/b]
I'm not too sure about that. :p Sometimes it can be quite hard on a relationship. Though my intention is to visit a few games next season. Sitting at home, listening to the radio isn't giving me the excitement (anymore) that I yearn for.

No,Iprobably couldn't improvise for all that long,in front of a crowd of haters.But hopefully I'll never find myself in that situation :) .[/b]
Well, "haters" isn't really what I was referring to either. I was using my own situation as an example when I will stand there. No one is really interested in hearing a speech of a fellow student.
Just make sure you never made the promise I made, or be as keen on fulfilling promises as me. :p

I just didn't get that bit because of the grammar shold of been -"They are mostly her words that we are together,than they are mine."[/b]
Well, I'm not the greatest when it comes to grammar. :p

Anyway,best of luck with your speech,or hope it went well if its been already. :D
[/b]
Thanks, but it won't be any day too soon. Or at least, not within these three weeks.