Video Card Issues

MeanMugginFool

I got an ATI Radeon 9600XT vid card a while back that my old comp would not run. I got a new computer a few months ago, and seeming as I have been on break this week, figured I would try installing it into my new comp. It is an AGP card, and I have an AGP slot. I followed the instructions, plugged in the card, and for some reason my mobo does not recognize that a card is plugged in. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to hardware installation, I can plug in ram, that is about it.
My comp is a PowerSpec 7110
P4 519 processor (3.06mhz)
MS-7131 mobo
1.5gig of DDR ram
right now I am running the Integrated Intel Extreme GMA Graphics 900 and I avg about 60fps on CZ, but I would love better performance

If any of you guys can help me out it'd be great, if you need any more info about the comp just ask and I will supply it.
Thanks,
MMF

Werbung:

imported_SuXoR

First, go into your bios: (turn on comp, hit del or f2 or whatever it says to get into setup)

Find the part that says init display first. Change it to agp rather than onboard.

Save settings and reboot.

You should now see your vid card. Also, I think that there is a floppy disk type power connector on the card itself. You may have to plug it in in order for it to work.

mYth

SuXoR said:
Also, I think that there is a floppy disk type power connector on the card itself. You may have to plug it in in order for it to work.

IDE Power Cable......looks like the power cable u plug into a CD-ROM or HDD......it does require external power apart from the AGP slot........

MeanMugginFool

It is an ATI Radeon 9600 XT, no other brand name on it. I am now confused in a way, went into the BIOS, went to advanced chip settings, went to Init Display, and the only choices it had were onboard or PCI. No AGP option. Now I swear there is an AGP slot, I plugged the card into it. Anyway, changed it to PCI just to see what it would do, nothing. Any other ideas?

edit* I went into the BIOS again, and I noticed when I click to disable onbaord vid, there is then an option under Initial Display for PCIex, which is odd cause it is an AGP slot not a PCIEx slot. Should I try that?

CrisisVT

Well, if the BIOS is saying that the AGP slot is actually a PCI-Express slot, then that's a problem. Try updating the BIOS for your motherboard and make sure the BIOS update is for the right revision of your motherboard.

If you look on the motherboard, usually in between the expansion slots, you'll see the full mobo name and a serial number, one of those should have the version number. The BIOS update (if there is one) will be available through your manufacture’s website.

(I'm assuming that this is your computer. )

Note: If you go and there isn't an new version of your BIOS available, download the latest available one and update with that. It's more than possible that the manufacture flashed your system with the wrong BIOS.

Werbung:

CuRRyINaHuRRy

CrisisVT said:
Well, if the BIOS is saying that the AGP slot is actually a PCI-Express slot, then that's a problem. Try updating the BIOS for your motherboard and make sure the BIOS update is for the right revision of your motherboard.

If you look on the motherboard, usually in between the expansion slots, you'll see the full mobo name and a serial number, one of those should have the version number. The BIOS update (if there is one) will be available through your manufacture’s website.

(I'm assuming that this is your computer. )

Note: If you go and there isn't an new version of your BIOS available, download the latest available one and update with that. It's more than possible that the manufacture flashed your system with the wrong BIOS.

y0 crisis.

P.S The captain in your avatar pwns. <3 bleach. My fav. is Ken though...who the fuck needs to name the ZANPAKTO ! :twisted: