World Cup

Raiju

Yay! We're entering June and the Soccerball World Cup 2006 (Germany) will begin. I love soccer, its emotion, adrenaline, everything!

Here is the Mexican team, altough were not any favorites, were always a constant presence in any world cup ^^:

Goal-Keepers - Oswaldo Sánchez, Jesus Corona and Guillermo Ochoa

Defense - Rafael Márquez (Barcelona, UEFA's champion), José Antonio Castro, Andrés Guardado, Ricardo Osório, Cláudio Suarez, Carlos Salcido, Francisco Rodríguez, Gonzalo Piñeda and Mário Mendez

Mids - Pavel Pardo, Rafael García, Gerardo Torrado, Ramón Morales, Luís Pérez and Antonio Nelson

Attack - Jared Borgetti, Omar Bravo, Jesus Arellano, Guillermo Franco, Francisco Fonseca and Cuátehmoc Blanco (seasoned veteran, third cup)

What about you guys (especially the europeans who have the chance to see the Cup in real), what are your expectations for the cup, your favorites and if possible, your country's team

So?

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

Don't follow soccer.
But I do think it should be called football, not soccer. Stupid Americans, their football is hardly ever hit with their foot!

Fladian

I can't wait either. But before the World Cup will start, there's an European tournament for the younger ages as well, which will start tomorrow, which is something I am heavily looking forward to. Thanks to the decision of not taking the Dutch most scoring striker to Germany, he'll be able to shine in Portugal.

If it isn't the matches I am looking forward to, then I am looking forward to the excitement, the mood, my birthday or the much laughing. Well, it is the most popular sport out here, considering how much attention is given to all others. I'm a supporter of a team as well, and the competition hasn't ended for that long just yet. Looks like I'm going to have football/soccer all year this time.

"If you don't like soccer... then you have a problem. Maybe you should try to find a different country for a little while." - Morning DJ Edwin Evers

Goal: Edwin van der Sar, Henk Timmer, Maarten Stekelenburg
Defense: Khalid Boulahrouz, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Tim de Cler, Johnny Heitinga, Kew Jaliens, Jan Kromkamp, Joris Mathijsen en André Ooijer.
Midfield: Mark van Bommel, Phillip Cocu, Denny Landzaat, Hedwiges Maduro, Wesley Sneijder en Rafael van der Vaart.
Attack: Ryan Babel , Dirk Kuyt, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben en Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Undead_Lives

Wow Flad, you're up early.
And I don't follow soccer because it's not as big here in Canada.
I'd love to live in another country..mostly to learn another language, but here in Canada, i'm pretty content.

Fladian

I've been up since 5:00 AM (two hours ago)... I couldn't sleep. I'm far too nervous for my remake exams.

Canadian, eh? That reminds me of something. Do you happen to know Rob Friend? :p

Fladian

Rob Friend is a Canadian striker, played for Molde, in Norway for some time. Was recently bought by the Dutch/Frisian team, SC Heerenveen to replace their former striker, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.
We (supporters of Heerenveen) are not completely sure who Rob exactly is. We only know he's a type of target-man; but unfortunately, most people here aren't really encouraged by the arrival of a Canadian striker.

Thanks. I'll definitely need that luck. More than ever before.

Fladian

This will be the second time that I'll remake this one... I've had a similar one remade about three times before, but only barely made it.

The one of tomorrow will depend a bit of my luck. When I officially got the test, it was too long. I lost my concentration halfway and just stopped making it. I thought I could get my grade up with other classes... which I eventually couldn't. ("Bah! I failed for a basic class.")

Anyway Raiju, Mexico is in quite an easy poule, don't you agree? Portugal, Iran and... uh... Angola. Looks a lot easier than the poule of Holland. :p

Raiju

Don't follow soccer.
But I do think it should be called football, not soccer. Stupid Americans, their football is hardly ever hit with their foot!
[/b]
Here its called Futeból. Only the twisted american minds could conceive such a thing as "soccerball"

Anyway Raiju, Mexico is in quite an easy poule, don't you agree? Portugal, Iran and... uh... Angola. Looks a lot easier than the poule of Holland. :p
[/b]
Portugal may give some trouble if we be too confident, but yes, lucky strike this year! Hope the team dont waste this oportunity. Soccer is also the most aprecciated sport here

^^

Alekill

i live in The us and we are crazy calling it soccer ITS FOOTBALL but i heard somewhere that like in 2020 that the world cup will be in Seattle Washington wich is 20 miles from where i live!

Fladian

Even if you don't like it out here... it's impossible to avoid. Just today I told a colleague of mine:
"During the EK, (European) I had to bring someone home. During that time, Holland was going into the extra time against... uh... Sweden, as I recall. If I remember right, Van Nistelrooy scored a goal while in off-side position (so it didn't count). When he scored that off-side goal, I was outside and had no clue how the match was going. Well, I can easily say that I definitely heard that someone made either a good move or we scored. I could hear buildings, houses, flats with people screaming, shouting and cheering. And... within a few seconds, it was completely quiet again (like I said, it didn't count). Quite scary..."
Even if you could ignore something like that and still dislike it. Well, then why not taking advantage of the people's good mood during a victory. :p You ought to know how many cigarretes we got for free :p

Portugal may give some trouble if we be too confident, but yes, lucky strike this year! Hope the team dont waste this oportunity. Soccer is also the most aprecciated sport here[/b]
It shouldn't be that bad. I find a poule with Argentine, Servie & Montenegro and Ivory Coast quite a challenge. :p Quite a lot harder than Iran, Portugal and... uh... which was the other one again?

Werbung:

Raiju

It shouldn't be that bad. I find a poule with Argentine, Servie & Montenegro and Ivory Coast quite a challenge. :p Quite a lot harder than Iran, Portugal and... uh... which was the other one again?[/b]

A pole with Argentina is SURELY dangerous. They're quite hmm, devilish, i hate to say but they are the second best team in the continent. The first of course, is Brazil (best of the world mate, always been)

Sérvia y Montenegro and Costa del Marfim are no match for Holland imo

Hey! Dont mess with Angola! Who knows if they are...good?! ^^