World Cup

Fladian

This friendly showed Lavolpe (mex's coach) that Rafael Márquez is not an "army-in-a-man"[/b]
Well, that could be good too. :p
It remains unfortunate that they could be beaten by Holland's B-squad.

Imo, i thought that Iran surprised everyone in the first half, showed they are quite a reasonable team, [/b]
Comapred to Angola and Trinidad & Tobago, I wasn't too surprised about Iran. Though I must admit that I did not expect them to score.

but, in the second half, mexican superiority triumphed ^^. 3x1 to México (2 goals of Omar Bravo, this kid promises!)[/b]
Excluding the goal from Iran, it was exactly what I was expecting.

Unfortunately i didnt watched that game, how was it?[/b]
Better than I expected. It ended in a 1 - 0 victory for Portugal, but Angola definitely showed that they can football. They heavily specialized in long placed shots and got quite a lot of good chances because of that.
Unfortunately, just like Mexico - Iran, I didn't give the game too much attention. For more than 3/4th of the game, there was someone who was in need of my help. Considering I placed that person on a higher priority than the WC-game, well... fill in the rest. :p

I watched Holland x Sérvia&Montenegro, i must say, a very poor play imo, i was expecting a LOT more of Holland. Maybe thats consequence of Kluivert and Seedorf's absence...[/b]
Poor indeed, but unfortunately, that's how Holland always plays. However, I do not believe it is because of the absence of Kluivert. In my opinion, despite being the top-scorer of Holland, Kluivert is quite overrated, not to mention not very fit at the moment because of his many injuries. More importantly that he has three top-strikers in front of him: Ruud van Nistelrooy, Roy Makaay (not in the selection) and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (not in the selection, top scorer of the Dutch league and top-scorer of the EC-U21).
The absence of Seedorf and Davids might be one of the reasons though. But Van Basten just doesn't want to take them along...

Anyways im happy with México, a good first game and, Antonio Naelson (aka Sinha), proved to be a reliable player. Why im saying that? Because, for EVERYONE's surprise, Lavolpe called Sinha in the place of Blanco. Can you believe it?!

At least he is a good player
[/b]
Hmm... names doesn't really ring a bell for me. The Mexican players are players that I'm not really familiar with, in opposite of many European teams.

Werbung:

Raiju

Well, that could be good too. :p
It remains unfortunate that they could be beaten by Holland's B-squad.[/b]
I wouldnt rely on that if I were you, many changes were made after Eidhoven's friendly, like the attack formation for example (currently using "magic four" - Borghetti and Bravo auxiliated by Fonseca and González). Also the game with Iran showed that we have to pay a lot of attention in the counter-attacks.

You see, by "guessing some results", Holland and México might play again in the eight-finals (if México and Holland get either both in second or first in their groups)

Better than I expected. It ended in a 1 - 0 victory for Portugal, but Angola definitely showed that they can football. They heavily specialized in long placed shots and got quite a lot of good chances because of that.[/b]
A friend of mine told me Portugal was below his expectations, that they've played a good game until the 15mins of the first half :wtf:

Poor indeed, but unfortunately, that's how Holland always plays.[/b]
Not always, i remember Holland kicking as.s in 1998 (quite some time i know it)

However, I do not believe it is because of the absence of Kluivert. In my opinion, despite being the top-scorer of Holland, Kluivert is quite overrated, not to mention not very fit at the moment because of his many injuries. More importantly that he has three top-strikers in front of him: Ruud van Nistelrooy, Roy Makaay (not in the selection) and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (not in the selection, top scorer of the Dutch league and top-scorer of the EC-U21).
The absence of Seedorf and Davids might be one of the reasons though. But Van Basten just doesn't want to take them along...[/b]
Your coach is insane, letting Kluivert, Seedorf and Davids (how could i forget him?) out of the selection. Reminds me of certain coach...

Hmm... names doesn't really ring a bell for me. The Mexican players are players that I'm not really familiar with, in opposite of many European teams.[/b]
Taking out the famous ones, Klaas-jan der something and Roy Makay dont mean a lot to me ^^. Suffice to say, Blanco is the top scorer of the Aguillas de Guadalajara, has disputed 2 other cups (this was to be his third) and is uncontestable, one of the best players of the country. However, he is very violent. Maybe thats the cause of his absence, recently, he has been sued for breaking Mondego's knee (Villareal's defender)

Fladian

I wouldnt rely on that if I were you, many changes were made after Eidhoven's friendly, like the attack formation for example (currently using "magic four" - Borghetti and Bravo auxiliated by Fonseca and González). Also the game with Iran showed that we have to pay a lot of attention in the counter-attacks.[/b]
Oh, I didn't mean I was planning of relying on that, nor anyone else is. But I just meant it was unfortunate.

You see, by "guessing some results", Holland and México might play again in the eight-finals (if México and Holland get either both in second or first in their groups)[/b]
It is very possible... but I got a few mixed feelings about it. Mexico isn't weaker than Portugal in my eyes after all... also, didn't Portugal defeat Holland during the EC two years ago...

A friend of mine told me Portugal was below his expectations, that they've played a good game until the 15mins of the first half :wtf:
Not always, i remember Holland kicking as.s in 1998 (quite some time i know it)[/b]
Portugal played indeed below the expectations, but it was Angola that pleasantly surprised me. I'm not really that fond on Portugal after all. :p

As for the poor playing. Well, that has been the case for quite some time... Cruijff, Lenstra and van Basten (the current coach) however played... uh... great.

Your coach is insane, letting Kluivert, Seedorf and Davids (how could i forget him?) out of the selection. Reminds me of certain coach...[/b]
Kluivert has not been taken mostly because he isn't fit. Even if he was as good as a few years ago, it's quite logical he isn't taken along. I can't recall that he played a match this season.
Seedorf and Davds has not been taken because: "Seedorf is too much of a player that goes for the fame, while Davids is too old."
The theory of someone being too old was proven a little when Philip Cocu got injured recently, but recovered in time for the first WC match. Cocu is 35 years old and the heart of the midfield.

A few friends of mine, and myself are convinced that Davids and Seedorf should be taken along no matter what. Van Basten (the coach) decided to bring Denny Landzaat (Defensive midfielder) and Hedwiges Maduro (21 year old Defensive midfielder) along instead. I'm a little biased about Landzaat, so I won't give my comments on him, but I am heavily against Maduro! The guy only has three or four caps and played his first season for Ajax this year. Before this season, he was playing in the reserve squad of Ajax - which had quite a bad season this year, mind you; if Huntelaar wasn't bought by Ajax, they probably would've missed out Champions League football and perhaps even UEFA-cup. Maduro is, in my eyes, a very average player which cannot even be compared to all other midfielders.
Mind you that Wesley Sneijder (which is also the most arrogant football player I know) is the back-up for Rafael van der Vaart, who is currently still recovering from an injury. With a little luck he'll be playing next match. In my point of view, Van der Vaart is the same type of player as Sneijder, but in every possible way better than the younger Sneijder. I got high hopes for Van der Vaart.

Taking out the famous ones, Klaas-jan der something and Roy Makay dont mean a lot to me ^^. [/b]
Remember the name of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (besides being a friendly guy :p) as he will most likely be the first-team-striker in the near future, considering that Van Nistelrooy, Makaay and Kluivert are already getting a bit old. Huntelaar, personally, gave Ajax Champions League Football and won the national Cup while he also had his asset to SC Heerenveen. Huntelaar was a giant hype earlier out here, though it is the first hype I enjoyed.
Makaay is... err... was the top-scorer of Germany at Bayern Munchen.

Suffice to say, Blanco is the top scorer of the Aguillas de Guadalajara, has disputed 2 other cups (this was to be his third) and is uncontestable, one of the best players of the country. However, he is very violent. Maybe thats the cause of his absence, recently, he has been sued for breaking Mondego's knee (Villareal's defender)[/b]
Well, it would be a good reason for keeping him out of the selection, in my opinion. On the other hand, keeping the top-scorer out of the selection might not be the greatest idea. Experience is always of importance.

Undead_Lives

Kinda cutting in on the conversation but anyways...
I started watching a bit. Unfortunately the game I watched ended up 0-0, but still it wasn't as horrendous as I thought it was. I agree with my friend though, in his opinion, World Cup soccer is the ONLY good soccer to watch.

MeTaL GuArD

Bah, i watched Poland vs Equador. Poland lost 2:0. New players in the team etc. didnt help really much.

Poland seems to play strength-based i think.

Raiju

Kinda cutting in on the conversation but anyways...
I started watching a bit. Unfortunately the game I watched ended up 0-0, but still it wasn't as horrendous as I thought it was. I agree with my friend though, in his opinion, World Cup soccer is the ONLY good soccer to watch.
[/b]
Áya dont say this Igloo!
European soccer is very good (champions league, italian and spanish champs...) not to say Mexican soccer itself, which is quite competitive. And the brazilian one, from where a lot of great players come

Your friend is wrong, you just live in a country where soccer is not a strenght

The theory of someone being too old was proven a little when Philip Cocu got injured recently, but recovered in time for the first WC match. Cocu is 35 years old and the heart of the midfield.[/b]
This is only half-true, you see, Cafú (brazilian's captain) is 36 years old, and its still a decent player (altough he were better younger obviously). Also, pay attention to the Italian defenders (the best defense of the word is that of Italy) almost all of them are older than 30. Of course that the performance in field reduces as time pass, but it depends on the player imo.

Im not really filled up in the Holland champs...i know only the famous players

Have you seen today's games? Brazil had a very resistant victory over Croatia, only 1x0. France still got its curse: since 1998 they never score a goal in the cups ^^. And Korea won of Togo 2x1

This cup will start to boil in the eightfinals

Fladian

[/b]
Nonsense. European football is great as it is as well. Though I admit that I missed a few games this week because of work, and other stuff, I still remain at me decision that the semi-final of the Champions League (AC Milan - Barcelona) was the best match of the season.

Bah, i watched Poland vs Equador. Poland lost 2:0. New players in the team etc. didnt help really much.
[/b]
It was quite unfortunate, yes. During that game I was discussing with a classmate about the people who graduated this year (42%). It was quite a fierce discussion, therefore that I missed a part of the match. I'm glad Arek (Radomski) had a good game though. The more he is invisible, the better he plays.
Radomski was the ex-captain of the Dutch SC Heerenveen. The club I support. Arek is a model-prof.

European soccer is very good (champions league, italian and spanish champs...) not to say Mexican soccer itself, which is quite competitive. And the brazilian one, from where a lot of great players come[/b]
I must admit that I never saw both the Mexican as Brazilian league...

Your friend is wrong, you just live in a country where soccer is not a strenght[/b]
Well, that's clear.

This is only half-true, you see, Cafú (brazilian's captain) is 36 years old, and its still a decent player (altough he were better younger obviously). Also, pay attention to the Italian defenders (the best defense of the word is that of Italy) almost all of them are older than 30. Of course that the performance in field reduces as time pass, but it depends on the player imo.[/b]
You are completely right. But I never said that I agreed with van Basten (the coach) choices. I only said that I could understand his decision, yet I remain with the fact that I don't agree with his choices.

Im not really filled up in the Holland champs...i know only the famous players[/b]
Well, the names Van Basten and Cruijff should ring a bell. :p (and perhaps Lenstra)

Have you seen today's games? Brazil had a very resistant victory over Croatia, only 1x0. France still got its curse: since 1998 they never score a goal in the cups ^^. And Korea won of Togo 2x1[/b]
Unfortunately I completely missed Korea - Togo. I was at work for most of the match, by the time I could go home, the match was already ending and I wanted to pick someone up from work. So I left immediately again and therefore missed about half the game of France. Because of multiple situations, I missed a lot of the second half of France as well.
Despite that I was home during the game of Brazil, I only watched with half an eye because I was busy with something else - which had by far a higher priority.

This cup will start to boil in the eightfinals
[/b]
It will start earlier. =)

No actually Raiju, the only thing we get here is English League. It sucks a LOT.
[/b]
The English league is well known for its rough style of play and much physical based. Despite that, the English football league is well known for being the best despite Italy and Spain also have one heck of a league.
For about half the season, I watch the English league as well and I find it quite good. I, of course, prefer to see the Dutch league, but you won't hear me complain about the English one. It's that the WC is on, otherwise I would've said that I can't wait for the league to start again.

The Brazil match was BORING the other day. I almost fell asleep. Haha it's funny, I said fell, and that's all they did ...fall.
I think the Germany match was more exciting (the 1st one) ..or maybe it just was because
1)I am German
2)It was the opening game
------------------------------------------------------

And about the Polavd vs. Equador match. I wanted Poland to win as well but now I want them to lose because they are versing Germant and well, not to be bias but I think Germany will take the cup..
---------------------
Sigh...SO many people are laughing at me because I think Germany will win - everyone says Brasil will win. In my opinion the way Brasil played in their first match - they are already lost.
-----------------------

Random comment:
Ghana is Ghana lose!
Hahahaha word play :p

---------------

Hey, there's this commercial here in the USA where a person from europe (I forgot who) is sitting with and American and the American says:
"How about you guys calling our football, soccer, in Europe!"
"Because you know..how we call your football, soccer!"
-------------

PS. Please revive this thread in 4 years :)

N00byStance

Bye bye dreams, Equador - Costarica 2:0, 54th minute...

As for yesterday match, Poland vs Germany... Argh... Judge had to add those 3 minutes :( But Boruc deserves for applause, he was fighting good... Well, maybe next time :p

Fladian

Poland played terrific, in my eyes and definitely deserved at least a draw. But still, I remain quite biased about the match considering that I am against the rival-Germans and hoped for Arek (Radomksi) to finally win something... even if that was just winning the poule phase.

Unfortunately, I didn't know about Equador - Costa Rica until it nearly ended. There was a power-failure at work and resulted in that no machine that worked on electricity worked. In other words, we couldn't do any of our work for at least five hours while having no access to internet or any ability to listen to the radio. Because it wasn't our fault, we could only wait until it was fixed... which took quite some time.

Raiju

I must admit that I never saw both the Mexican as Brazilian league...[/b]
I can assure you that the Mexican league, altough it lacks in stars, its quite competitive. I watch Brazilian games sometimes in the cable TV, and they're quite good, especially if you consider that all the great players that now play inEurope came from there ^^

Well, the names Van Basten and Cruijff should ring a bell. :p (and perhaps Lenstra)[/b]
No...Van Basten only started to mean something to me in this cup :D

Sigh...SO many people are laughing at me because I think Germany will win - everyone says Brasil will win. In my opinion the way Brasil played in their first match - they are already lost.[/b]
Jajaja thats funny, if you take in consideration the last 2 cups, Brazil had a very poor performance in the first matches. But, of course, they ended up as vice-champion and champion in the last 2 cups.

And youre angry because they got a sound victory over Germany in 2002 :cool:

Werbung:

Fladian

I can assure you that the Mexican league, altough it lacks in stars, its quite competitive. [/b]
That's mostly the case. The leagues that lack "stars," as you said often are quite competitive.

I watch Brazilian games sometimes in the cable TV, and they're quite good, especially if you consider that all the great players that now play inEurope came from there ^^[/b]
The Brazilian league is not on TV here, nor can I find it on the internet. I have no possible way of watching it... so...

No...Van Basten only started to mean something to me in this cup :D [/b]
Really? Together with Cruijff he is one of the two legendary strikers of Holland. That you don't know (Abe) Lenstra, well, I can imagine that. Lenstra is more famous in the north of the Netherlands than anywhere else.

Jajaja thats funny, if you take in consideration the last 2 cups, Brazil had a very poor performance in the first matches. But, of course, they ended up as vice-champion and champion in the last 2 cups.[/b]
Well, they surely have the quality to keep on winning even if they play poor.

And youre angry because they got a sound victory over Germany in 2002 :cool:
[/b]
Who wouldn't be. :p

I want Czechs to win the championship :p Dunno, maybe it's just because they're Slavic "brothers", I sympathise them :)
[/b]
I'm pretty fond of the Czechs as well. Especially Jan Koller, but that's mostly because (Totti and Figo as well) Peter Heerschop en Viggo Waas, two Dutch comedians (note: Viggo is pronounced the same way as Figo) enjoy making jokes about him.
("We visited the cafe of Figo during the last match. There was a little difference between Viggo and me." - Peter
"Yeah, quite." - Viggo
"I told them that I was the best friend of Viggo, which is no lie."
"And I told them my name. I guess they don't like imposters.")

Finally, a good game from Holland, which resulted in (at least) the second place in the poule. I doubt that we are able to win from the strong Argentine. ("Sorry to interupt the song, but Argentine scored again, making it 6 - 0." - DJ Jeroen) I'm... quite happy, I'm considering of going out a little later today to celebrate the victory of Holland - I'm not wearing orange for nothing :p - but on the other hand, I am pretty interested in watching Mexico - Angola too and I am also waiting for a particular few people to come online on MSN...

<div align="center">
oranje8ti.jpg
</div>