Bit of Help Required

Jupackazoin

Hey I was just curious, I'm making a campaign. Now, what view would be better do you think? Have the camera locked onto your hero as you wander around, or have it free, like it normally is?
Also, I've made an ability, Magic Attack, it adds some magic damage based on the hero level to the heroes attack, It's activated like Searing Arrows. How do I get say, a lightning Target or Fire target animation, the one that swirls around the heroes weapon, when the user activates the ability? It's a custom weapon by the way, so that might cause problems.
Another question:
Is the trigger: Issue order targeting unit trigger the best trigger to use to get the hero to talk to people? At the moment I use this event, and then conditions such as: Hero must be certain distance from target, target must be such and such, unit issuing order must be such and such. A better way would be great, this gets annoying after a while.
Thanx

Werbung:

Undead_Lives

I'd go with freestyle. Personally I like to look ahead when I'm playing.
As for your second question, you can make a trigger that gives the unit an effect for their weapon. Just make it so that when they have the ability you use the action "Special Effect" and choose your effect, and set it to weapon.
As for your last question, I'm to tired to think of that :p

Fladian

I'm more fond on the freestyle as well, mostly for the reason Undead mentioned. Especially if you are intending to let (larger) armies of units in the game. If you are unable to move your screen without moving your hero, it might be a bit hard to control them... unless it is your intention, of course.
I am currently making one where the camera is locked to your hero, but this is mostly because you have to make good (if not great) use of the enviroment and possible places around you. If you can look ahead, you'll find it much easier to hide from the enemy, that how it is now. Because everything is focused on one character, you don't have to give much attention to larger armies, as you won't control them yourself anyway. Worst thing that could happen if you'd get a (large) army against you. :p

Those other two are trigger related. I'm not too good with triggers.

Jupackazoin

Those other two are trigger related. I'm not too good with triggers.
I thought I'd be no good at it too, but after a heck of a lot of trial and error i've managed a few cool things :)
Thanx for the screen lock thing, I think i will keep the freestyle, makes it easier to control movement, some places are a bit boxed in like.
The trigger to make the special effect? I'll give it a go, I think I already tried it once, maybe have to tweek it a bit.

Fladian

Oh, I can do just about anything with triggers, Jupackazoin, but I can't really help people with their problems. Not to mention that I haven't touched the triggers for ages now.

Undead_Lives

As for your last question, I can't think of a better way, but know that triggers are always annoying :p
Try out the special effect trigger and post it if you're having problems.

Squishy-1

when talking to people i would suggest using
Event: Player (owner of hero) selects (unit 123)
Condition: player is equal to owner of (hero123) and is within 300 range
Action: play animation tacobeansoup for player(owner of hero)

that will make it so if you highlight a unit that you intend to talk to it will talk

i prefer freestyle jst because the constant swaying of the camera gets annoying and its hard to move, but if you do use fixed make regions on all walls and make a trigger that is like
Event: camera enters region
Condition: region = to region 111 gen or regen = regen X
action: change z axis distance to -10

that should automatically zoom the camera closer to the hero as it passes by, but with that you would need
Event: every 10 seconds of game
Condition:
Action: fix camera on hero
Set distance as X (x being however far it is normally)

though that might look wierd im sure if u used it you coulld tweak it to find some better way

for the weapon what i would do is
Event: ability X is cast
Condition:
Action: create special effect X on casting (chanting) hero

Event: Player cancels spell X
Condition:
Action: Destroy special effect X from hero manipulating spell

Werbung:

Cokemonkey11

Hey I was just curious, I'm making a campaign. Now, what view would be better do you think? Have the camera locked onto your hero as you wander around, or have it free, like it normally is?
I think you should make a command like .lock to lock cam to selected unit, and a command like .unlock to let it free. thats what im doing in my current RPG.