Curse of a loner

Moagrim

Back from my walk (the one i told you about earlier) well i Feel a bit more chilled out now *switches off papa roach* I come back and yall talking about shirts, :/ odd :) I not too fussed about what colours I wear although i hate wearing black when its really warm (once again,its scotland,so it its almost never really warm :p) .

oh,and there was no funny growling stalkers following me on the walk this time either :D .

Werbung:

Tenebrae

unless you left out some crucial details (like you wear white facepaint) then you are not goth.
[/b]
Nope, I don't wear any face paint. My friend is just stupid (and I think I'm well-associated enough with him to call him a friend). He hangs out where all the preppies and such are. Personally, I think he has lived a somewhat secluded life, despite the fact that he's the most social person I know.

Oh, and btw Flad, I dress quite a bit like you. I usually wear black, dark blue, blue or gray.
[/b]

What a coincidence, so do I :p

st33m

Okay, way too lazy to read what everyone else said on the matter, but heres my take on it:

Your friend is getting into that stage where cliques are essential (to some, but not to me). He is trying to categorize you somewhere, but you dont fit in anywhere (well you do, but not in his understanding of categories).

So uh... I have no solution.

Eat his soul maybe? :infernal:

Tenebrae

Ah, the pleasure that would bring me, mua ha ha!
just kidding...

If he's trying to categorize me, then he doesn't have a very broad mind if he thinks I'm gothic.

Undead_Lives

If your friend hangs out with preppies...well, nevermind.
Anyways, putting people into groups is just plain stupid. It creates even more walls between us than there should be.

Xeridanus

not much to say other than, i agree with just about everything people have said here. nothing wrong with being a loner, nothing wrong with being social. lately when i've been stressed i go and work on my foundation C++ programming assignment. I thought it was really odd that i could put down Oblivion to work on it. (mind you the game had been causing me some grief, trying to find this thing, the person i'm supposed to talk to is dead... CTD!!). when i'm programming, i lose whatever feeble connection i have with reallity, i can disappear with out a trace.

I usually walk to and from university, 40-45 mins. that gives me all the time i need to think, but i usually get a lot more, during the cracks in my schedule. when im not doing something really, incredibly interesting, im thinking... or wathcing tv, brain goes dead then.

~X

Fladian

There is a saying: "Don't live out a lie," Hunter. I earlier said in this thread that anyone normally would agree with that, though I am not the person to say that too.

Tenebrae

Here's another thing that bugs me. It doesn't really have anything to do with being a loner, but a lot of the time, my parents, brothers and sisters, and friends tell me that I should "broaden my horizons". First of all, I think I have quite broad horizons, but everyone I know seems to think i'm very.... "narrow-minded", I guess is the term. And secondly, here is another example of how it is who I am, and I don't want to change that.

For example, as many of you know, I'm writing a book, and it is a futuristic fantasy type story (kinda like Final Fantasy, but.... a lot different). My parents keep telling me that I should write about more than fantasy. Plus, they seem to think that my whole life is centered on fantasy, and that I can't really distinguish between what's real and what's not.

But that is very far from the truth. I have big plans for the future that don't involve my little "Fantasy" world, but I don't have all the resources to work towards those plans. And also, every author has their certain areas of expertise. Look at J.R. Tolkien. As far as I know, he never wrote a realistic book, yet he is one of the best authors i've ever heard of.

The only things I'm really good at writing are fantasy stories. I've tried realistic ones and it didn't work out.

Anyway, I think you guys get my point. Just like my friend always telling me to socialize more, why should I "broaden my horizons" if I quite enjoy my horizons the way they are?

I think I'm getting a little hysterical here.... :/

Fladian

Actually, it could be related to being a loner, Tenebrae. People think they know you better than they really do, therefore also quickly deciding to judge where your limits and "horizons" are placed. Most of the time, you know yourself the best, so I'll go for that too. ^^

Writing stories don't really have any effect on how you are. Perhaps where the interest lies, but it has no influence over a daily life, unless it is a biography. Ignore what I say then. :p
I enjoy writing drama. Does that make me enjoy suffering and sadness? No. Does that involve me thinking negative all the time? By coincidence, yes, but normally the answer would be no too. That I am able to write both fantasy style and modern style is not of discussion. I have no interest in sci-fi, so I don't write about it either. Does that mean that I don't want to live towards the future? No.
Is what I say true for everyone? No, it's not. There are people that will eventually crawl up in a little hole, thinking of their own thoughts only. Though in modern times, it rarely happens and is decreasing even more.

As for writing fantasy; I personally find writing fantasy too easy. It has less limits than in real life, so it is less of a challenge than modern times. Also, after I created the Lands, I seem to have a hard time to write about something else in fantasy style without involving a character from it. If I feel like to continue a fantasy story, I continue either Thet-Nirio, or If, and only if.
I always enjoyed writing about realistic times though, preferrable from the modern times and about a character around my own age, something I understand the best.

Why should you broaden your horizons, you say? You don't have to, if you don't want to. If you are satisfied with how everything is now, I don't foresee any specific problems. But try to look a bit in the future. Can you see yourself similar to how you are now in a few years? I didn't, that's why I am what I am now.
Do ask yourself the following question though: "Are your really satisfied now?"

Tenebrae

I actually do look ahead to my future very often. That's probably something I think about more than anything.
I'm not exactly satisfied, but there isn't a whole ton that I can do about it at the time... I guess I'm content, though.... for now...

Undead_Lives

If you don't think you need to broaden your horizons, then don't.
However, it's never a bad thing to try something new, even if you're not good at it/don't like it at first. You have to give some things a chance. I personally try to be as open-minded as I can, and I try to challenge myself as well.
Oh, and Flad, you're probably right, fantasy is probably the easiest genre to write in. Or maybe that's children's books...

Tenebrae

I wouldn't necessarily say that fantasy is the easiest. There aren't really any limits, I guess, but you still have to come up with a good story that your readers will like. I mean, when you think about it, a main character who is invincible and all powerful, etc., is kinda boring... that's just one example though.
My book isn't entirely fantasy, anyway.... well, I guess it is, but in this case, it's not unlimited, although I agree that it has a lot less limits than real life, which is why its so fun!... until you get writer's block, of course, lol.

Werbung:

Fladian

If you're not completely satisfied, I ought to say that you should be. Whatever you feel like you're missing... well, do something about it. Just like I am doing... oh, this is not referring to the fact that I'm posting this post at work. :p

Children's book, eh, Undead? In a way, you're right, but it's harder than you may imagine. You have to consider the simple mind of a child in that case, which is quite hard in general. Not to mention that it also depends on what age you are aiming for. Telling a story, for example, is hard enough as it is.
Trying to think as simple minded as a young child is much harder than most people think. I, for one, would never be able to write a children's book. Not only do I force situations in my stories to be far more serious for a mere child to understand, but I also try to strive for a plot that can are supposed to interest adults. If, and only if is an exception of that.

Tenebrae, you always have to come up with a good story line. This has nothing (in specific) to do with a fantasy-story. Unless you are more skilled than most amateur writers and able to write an interesting story from a cliche concept. Not too long ago (I can't say recently anymore, as it has been a few months now) I've read a story online. You could call it a 'Drama / Romance / Humor / Sports', if necessary. Normally, you could say that it would push against my favorite genres of amateur writers, especially when they are around my own age. The basic concept of the story was as cliche as anything. As a matter of fact, I can describe it in a few simple words:
1. Boy moves to another city.
2. Meets up with a girl.
3. Learns that she is just as skilled as he is in a specific sport.
4. They fall in love.
5. They get a few problems.
6. They solve them.
7. And they live happy ever after.
That's about everything that happened in the story. One thing that made it remarkable was that they gave quite a lot of character development to the supporting characters. But as I said, an extremely cliche concept, yet it might just be the best story I've ever read of that genre. What made it so special, you may ask. The main character was gay.

Writing a story that has no... or rather, very little limits is fun for a while. But after some time, you are going to set limits for yourself, making it very little different from a realistic story. I prefer to have those limits premade, therefore that I write a realistic story in the modern times, preferrable about times I personally know.
If you don't set those limits for yourself, then it remains very easy to make the story. There is nothing you have to keep yourself on, except the characters and the basic plot you are trying to develop... and of course, the normal other stuff. This all has to be done too in a normal story, except that the big difference a fantasy story has is the fact that you have full control over the enviroment and the people. You have far too much influence, which can make your story... or world, actually, quite limitless.
You say that you still need a good underlying story to support it still. That is true, I won't deny that, but there is no difference in any other story. Even a children's book needs a (preferrable good) underlying story.

You also said "when you think about it, a main character who is invincible and all powerful is kinda boring," but I believe that I am able to write a decent story about a main character like that. You can write something good of just about anything.