Popularity tree, what do you think.

Falcoknight

*More generated for people going to school*

There is this sort of 'Popularity Tree', chain, hook, rope; whatever you wish it to be called. It ranges from the dorky runescape kids to the preppy cheerleading squad. I personaly think this is a bunch of bullcrap, most people have something wrong with them, cant they just accept that other do to. Now, I cant say I dont look at someone and think him lesser or more than me, I may guffaw at 'loners' or look jealously at 'cool' people. I try not to, but its in nature. I myself have quite a few friends, I dont get picked on much and dont get bullied much at all. I know people who do and try to help them but its not going to stop. When I go to school sometimes I make a quick prayer to god to make my day go smoothly, not to have any troubles or BS. Call me an idiot for believing in god all you want, Im sticking to it. Anyway, thats another story. I have a lot of problems, many that people find unatractive, geeky or otherwise. I have good qualities, but as selfish or weird this may seem, I'd trade it to be more attractive.
Heres how I see it, the popularity chain:
1 being the highest.

1. Popular (Usually preppy)
2. Mid-Popilar (Usually druggies)
3. Low-Popular (Usually Punks and Heavy Metalists)
4. High Average (Normal people, Funny or have something else thats different about them)
5. Complete Average (Square centre, normal. not interesting. boring)
6. Low Average (People who are very average, but a little less)
7. Low Loser (Your a gamer, computer geek etc. Yet you don't let that get in the way of everything)
8. Average Loser (Your a gamer, computer geek and usually let that get in the way of you)
9. Loser (No matter how hard you try, something about you just dont work with the popularity peak)
10. Nobody (Worst case scenario, you feal unwanted, no one cares, and no one ever will (Aside from that special someone))

This isn't super accurate, but its how i see it. Me personally, i think im a 5 or a 4, I am funny, have talents and fit in, yet Im not a punk or Heavy Metalist. Others think differently about me, Im usualy semi-depressed even no i dont want to be.

Anyways, anyone care to discuss?

Werbung:

N00byStance

All schools I've been learning in weren't big, max. 350 students in. Therefore, I think there isn't such classification system like in western schools, at least not as visible as there. I haven't noticed any kind of "school rank", if there is any, it is around the oldest classes. As about "class rank", yes, I've noticed that. There are few boys that are "leading", they are close with girls, the oldest students, and teachers etc. Even though I'm not close with high number of girls or I'm not a friend with any of older guy, I still have strong position just after them, and that's enough for me ;) I'm being liked by my classmates/teachers.

That's all from my autopresentation. :wtf:

Falcoknight

To be fair, I'm not the lowest of the low either. Though I am in a Western school, and as you said, we do double the population in terms of school holding.

MeTaL GuArD

If i could put myself in your rank Falco it could be 4, cause im of unusual size. I even think that half of the school i learn at recognizes me. o_O

Same as N00by, there are people in my class that "lead", yet they are bullies. Though my "f.uck-all" tactic works, and i stick only with a very few number of people.

Fladian

EDIT: Bah... the quote tags don't work.

That's funny... I was discussing a somewhat the same subject with someone at work yesterday. He didn't understand how everything changed so much in twenty - thirty years.

There is this sort of 'Popularity Tree', chain, hook, rope; whatever you wish it to be called. It ranges from the dorky runescape kids to the preppy cheerleading squad. I personaly think this is a bunch of bullcrap, most people have something wrong with them, cant they just accept that other do to.
People stick with the same kind of people. For more than 95%, it's in their nature to go to the people that give them the most comfortable mood and/or similar kind of people like that. You could say popular people and "geeky" ones stick together in that way as well.
Someone who is unable to act similar as they are, are quickly looked at with a strange look in the eyes. "You don't belong here."
Fact remains that a group, or a crowd needs a leader. There is always one person (sometimes more, but it usually stops with one) that is at the top of the group. If you are able to convince him, or her that you belong to that group, you could get in. Normally spoken.
I am no leader; I'm a follower. But when I look at my most recent school year, people would rather say the opposite.

Now, I cant say I dont look at someone and think him lesser or more than me, I may guffaw at 'loners' or look jealously at 'cool' people. I try not to, but its in nature.
Of course it's in your nature. People tend to get jealous when they see something in someone that they want to. They start admiring him because of it, or perhaps dispising. You could say: "I try not to," but why not? One of the three main motivation of me to change to what I am is the personality of someone else. I "admire" someone "cool," so my eyes are only directed that way...
If you see something that you do not like about yourself, or try to avoid becoming, you often look down at such people.
This all usually happens unintentionally. I can't even start to say who crazily jealous I am on two specific people. ^^

I myself have quite a few friends, I dont get picked on much and dont get bullied much at all. I know people who do and try to help them but its not going to stop.
Trying to stop someone from being picked on is hard as it is. Despite having the same charastics as a classmate of several classmates of mine that were being "picked and bullied on," I was never really bullied. I didn't know the reason back then, and didn't really care either, but I started to think about it not too long ago. Short afterwards I came to my conclusion, so I didn't give it much other thought.

There was someone I know that was being 'dispised,' literally. Those who would stand up for her would probably end up the same, therefore that no one really bothered to try. Understandable as it is; I only regret not having done anything myself.

When I go to school sometimes I make a quick prayer to god to make my day go smoothly, not to have any troubles or BS. Call me an idiot for believing in god all you want, Im sticking to it.
There is no shame in being religious. I just happen not to be for several reasons.

I have a lot of problems, many that people find unatractive, geeky or otherwise. I have good qualities, but as selfish or weird this may seem, I'd trade it to be more attractive.
I'm familiar with it as well. Racism is quite common out here, but fortunately, I am not from the main one that is discriminated the most. But it still happens, unfortunately. Though I am able to pin it down with most people because of my qualities in my personality.
I'd give quite a lot to be "attractive" as well, as I am not really happy with my looks. That's because I learned a long time ago at what kind of people I like to hang out with or girls I'd fall for. My looks are in the way from time to time for that. As for my... good qualities. Well, people may judge about that them selves.

I have one really small thing that bugs me, ruins me, and allways drags me down. I won't tell anyone, so don't ask me, all I'm telling you is it is a MASSIVE burden. I know others have it and I wish i knew then so i could be friends with people like me, but the odds are slim, most people wouldn't say it either.
Even if someone has the same problem, they wouldn't know it was similar to the one of your own, Falco. For all you may know, I posses the same thing.

This isn't super accurate, but its how i see it. Me personally, i think im a 5 or a 4, I am funny, have talents and fit in, yet Im not a punk or Heavy Metalist. Others think differently about me, Im usualy semi-depressed even no i dont want to be.
Depends on the people of that school how accurate that static is. Metal doesn't live here much, as example. It's mostly the hip-hop, R&B and rap that's the big hype out here.

Where would I place myself? No where, actually. I don't search the attention of people; let them come to me. I've always placed myself between groups, not completely in a group itself. Considering the fact that I am accepted in just about every group, I don't think I can place myself in a group there.

Anyways, anyone care to discuss?
Sure, any time.

All schools I've been learning in weren't big, max. 350 students in.
That's a bit hard for me. Excluding elementery school, I've been in quite well known schools. The high school I was in is quite known throughout the area for having a lot of "trouble makers," and the school I am now has a good reputation. Does that mean I know everyone of there? No, most definitely not. There are more than six big buildings in quite a small area, and I only go to two of them... not too long ago did I saw the third one from the inside for the first time.

I haven't noticed any kind of "school rank", if there is any, it is around the oldest classes. As about "class rank", yes, I've noticed that.
What you said stopped pretty much for me after my freshman year in High school and all other years of elementery school. Though it's quite logical that doesn't happen in where I am now anyway... considering the fact that I used to be with a married girl in my class and that such things were quite common. When you look at a few classes higher than me and see people of a much younger age than me, it's hard to make a system like that here.
I wonder if I'm called old next year like Erik.

There are few boys that are "leading", they are close with girls, the oldest students, and teachers etc.
That just depends on the students them selves. There are more than enough girls and teachers I can't get well with too, but that doesn't mean I always do. There are also those that can't stand me, and I can't stand them... though this mostly counts for teachers only. I tend to act more nice to students. :p Or the teacher has to give me a good impression. My home-room teacher of last year and this year (well, my year is over, so he isn't anymore... but oh well) were good guys, both of them. The first one was a bit too naive though, but nice nonetheless. He never won our bets though... but then again, I always lost too.

Even though I'm not close with high number of girls or I'm not a friend with any of older guy,
I am familiar with a high number of girls and a lot of people I know are older than me. But like I said earlier, being 'friends' with someone is a big word in my opinion.

I still have strong position just after them, and that's enough for me ;) I'm being liked by my classmates/teachers.
Well, I guess that's good, now isn't it?

Xeridanus

lol, great motto there werewulf.

in my skool, we had groups sure. but that's all, they were never compared to each other unless for a joke. but there was definately a slightly more popular group. the leader of this group actually became dux of the skool. in fact everyone in that group are really smart, or worked hard enough to pull it off. he was well known and liked by all teachers and most students. (when i say most students, all the ones that knew him liked him.) oh yeah, he was also skool capitan. we didn't have a popularity ladder.

bullying... it is terrible that it is so common, and yet untreated. just bare in mind how much of a better person you are compared to those that bully others. also, remember that, eventually, they will grow out of it. or get kicked out of skool, either way, they won't be like that forever. unless skool's over there are a lot less mature then our skools.

and now i shall leave you with a little wisdom of my own.

Someone once said to Voltair, "life is hard!"
Voltair replied, "compared to what?

~XERIDANUS

Werewulf

hm.. i keep to myself alot at school..
but i keep imaging me shooting the people i like and cutting them and choking them..and taking great pleasure at it.. i seriously need to stay away from people if this side grows

Fladian

It's quite common that (one of) the most popular of students tend to get along well with teachers. Sometimes it's the cause of influence in both cases, but it also depends on what kind of teacher it is. One of the teachers in my case is quite the sensitive type; as in, he doesn't take a joke well, but likes to joke with the students... as long as he isn't involved in the joke. Popular or not, that doesn't really play a role in his case. Take my economy teacher from high school as example, he managed to convince half of the class at that current time to go and drink a beer once in a while. In other words, it depends a lot on how the teacher things of the student and how big his, or her influence is.

Bullying is just part of everything. I am fortunate not to have been bullied much in the past, especially because I know that I wouldn't come up for myself back then. I wouldn't answer very nicely to that nowadays, I must admit.
Xeridanus, you said that you must just remember how much better you are than them. But that's often one of the main causes why people start bullying others - because they think they are better.
Some will indeed grow out of it, some never will. But that's better that way too. I think I could handle a "bully" quite well nowadays... though lately weapons and punches appear a bit faster than words lately.

A nice quote, on a side note, Xeridanus.

ragingspeedhorn

I am a 3 on the scale, the "metalist" :p

The ranks is actually very clear in my school and it is sorta like Falco said besides the fact that we dont have cheerleaders in Denmark there is still the girls that would be cheerleaders if the opputunity was there.

I am fine with my "rank", I am not super popular, people say hello to me is friendly and I don't get any shit talking because people sorta fear some of my friends will beat them up then :wtf:

N00byStance

As for size of the school, I'm pretty happy of mine. There are 300 students here, and I know one girl (of same age) that is studying in school where are twice+ more students... Our schools are only few streets away from each other, and we both live in capital... :)

Fladian

They don't really have cheerleaders here either, or at the very least, not at a school. ^^ Though it would be quite strange if there were cheerleaders at the school I am on. As most people know, I study accountancy. :p

If you want to give me a rank, feel free to do so. Though like I said earlier, I don't really look at "ranks."

I've always been in a school such as this, I don't know much better. Though I was hoping to go to a different school next year, about a full hour train trip to that school from where I live... if I could take the train right after I take my first step outside of my house, that is. When I took a look there once, I was quite... impressed by the size of it. Mind you, it was the biggest school I've ever seen.
Some day I'll probably have to cross the entire nation constantly just to go to school. :p

maTt540

Hmmm...I dont really see anything around there at all that matches me. Id have to go with 1, but then again, 4 sounds like me, also 9...ARGH!!! I cant tell! Im in sports groups, known by not 1/2 my grade, but 1/2 my school, a-B honor roll, advanced classes, a gamer...I cant tell were I would go! ARGh!!!

bullying... it is terrible that it is so common, and yet untreated. just bare in mind how much of a better person you are compared to those that bully others. also, remember that, eventually, they will grow out of it. or get kicked out of skool, either way, they won't be like that forever. unless skool's over there are a lot less mature then our skools.[/b]

Yeah. I agree all the way. never been bullyied, but i know several friends that have. I did a project on it once...

Bullys never tend to really grow out of this though. They remain like this for a long time. Usually, they will continue this way through adult hood.

Bullying is just part of everything. I am fortunate not to have been bullied much in the past, especially because I know that I wouldn't come up for myself back then. I wouldn't answer very nicely to that nowadays, I must admit.
Xeridanus, you said that you must just remember how much better you are than them. But that's often one of the main causes why people start bullying others - because they think they are better.[/b]

true that is :D

If some one says "your face," Reply with "your mom!" That will make them freeze for a good 4 seconds!
-Yahoo! answers[/b]

I am fine with my "rank", I am not super popular, people say hello to me is friendly and I don't get any shit talking because people sorta fear some of my friends will beat them up then [/b]

I'd love to meet your friends! They must be really frieghtening if people fear they kill slaughter them!

Sorry if my post dont make sence, I really think this is a strange thread indeed...school stories...

Werbung: