What are you playing

Werbung:

Fladian

Fighter/Thief, I just got down to the underdark. I'm having some trouble with that 'ambush' (right before you help Solaufein). Though the battle is quite easy, the mage immediately casts Maze on me, and... well, that's just it. :p Maze is quite deadly when playing solo.

I skipped Firkraag, but the Shadow Dragon is dead. I was in need of its scales. :p

Fladian

This isn't the first time I'm playing solo, but I had some trouble with some specific traps (petrify) I couldn't disarm or avoid.

I've played solo before with a sorceror, cleric and a babarian.

I'm usually a cleric though... or anything that can cast some healing spells. :p Finding me in a complete-cleric party (Anomen, Jaheira, Viconia, Aerie) isn't too surprising either. :p
I recently finished both SOA and TOB with a Berserker/Cleric (dual classed, for a mastery in flails). Besides that, I remember finishing the game also with a Paladin, Mage and Druid. I am still interested to finish the game once with a Bard though. I only finished TOB once.

The class I am most proud of, (and finished the game with for the very first time) was my half-elf Ranger/Cleric. Armed with Daystar and Celestial Fury quite early on proves to be very deadly.
I'm currently with a human dualclassed Ranger/Cleric (armed with the Flail of Ages and Warhammer +2). This one is not a solo-character however. I'm sharing the team with Anomen, Aerie, Viconia, Jan and Nalia. Not really my favorite team, but I already finished the game with my most favored characters quite recently. (Jaheira, Imoen, Jan, Valygar and Mazzy; though Mazzy and Valygar are quite new there, it's usually Anomen and Viconia instead)

I remember the time when I tried to finish the game with characters I never used before. Quite a pain to use a team of Korgan, Cernd, Haer'Dalis and Nalia (and Jan, but I just lack a decent thief). With nothing specialized, it was harder than I.... hoped for.

As for my solo fighter/thief... I'm currently quite stumped with that maze spell against me all the time. I've got no way to counter it or to avoid it whatsoever. Not only that, but it hits me at quite a bad timing too, considering that there is no way of finding people to join me, or time to spare seeing as I have to go and save Phaere. :p
This is also one of the first characters I play as a evil character. With a reputation of 1 (!), I am constantly getting attacked by guards and mages from the city, so I just quickly paid the fee to Bayle, (not Bodhi, mind you) so I could leave... of course, after getting my favorite axe and katana. :D (with a mastery in both weapons and 3 +'s in two weapon style, doing nearly 17 damage at every hit (and 5% chance of doing 20 electrical damage) and often stunning the opponent, I'm pretty well armed for just about any opponent... until they start casting maze... not to mention that I have yet to deal with our all-time favorite Demi-Lich...
I'm also still interested in killing the only dragon I never managed to kill... the Silver Dragon. I always found it quite annoying. Every dragon has its own powerful ability. The Shadow Dragon with its Dragon Breath, draining a couple of levels and doing every status element damage there is available. Firkraag, the Red Dragon, his enormus fireball which a saving throw can be made against (by all means, Firkraag is IMO the weakest among the dragons) and of course the Black Dragon of Irenicus. I always found it quite poor that it was the only druidic dragon, using entangle and summon insects. If you stay out of its reach, it proves to be even easier than Firkraag. The few dragons in TOB are powerful too, but their dragon breaths are from a different leven than those of SOA. (If you don't know what they are, one is a similar one of Firkraag (but it has an invisible ability), another Druidic dragon (which is not hostile) and (the strongest) is an electrical dragon, which uses a mass-chain-lightning, but by the time you reach that point, enough resistences are available to at least save some unnecessary damage)
The Silver Dragon, however, is on a completely different level. Her dragon breath is a mass petrify, which I dealt with more than once. I never found a real good way to counter or avoid petrify, so I never really dealt with her in combat in an honest way... I would like to try with my solo fighter now though, considering I easily disposed of the Shadow Dragon earlier. I am also very interested in having the blood of the Silver Dragon, I need it to forge a 'powerful' leather armor (mind you, I'm a thief).

Fladian

Nonsense. More people I could name have played and finished the game over and over again in a solo-game.

I am still personally convinced that it is a lot more fun with a party, of course.

MeTaL GuArD

Bah, by the way, best warriors you can get to your party are Korgan, Kheldorn, Valygar and eventually Minsc. Kheldorn can get the Carsomir +5 from Firkraag making him a extremely valuable member. My brother finished the game with a wizard as main character, also with Edwin, Korgan, Imoen(he's not that fond on taking a "useless" rogue in his team, on Icewind Dale II he never had one and he still finished the game), Kheldorn and probably Minsc. I might be mistaking though cause it was a few years ago.

If talking about the expansion, best is Sarevok. Seriously he's one of the best warriors in the game.

Fladian

Sarevok is without a doubt the best fighter in the game, but in a way, that would also be quite logical.

I never finished the game with Keldorn on purpose. The reason he is able to carry Casomyr, the Holy Avenger, usually ticks me off. The weapon is extremely powerful, and only gets more powerful in the expansion. Mind you, one of the only weapons that can hit Kangaxx in SOA too.

I finished the game with Korgan (in a good party :p) before. It's quite easy to notice that he is, by far, the strongest fighter who is available in SOA. It's a shame that I'm not too fond on his personality and that he likes to pick a fight with other characters I tend to have in my team. :p

Minsc is very strong, but I finished the game too often with Minsc and he is starting to bore me. Valygar is, without a doubt, my favorite male NPC. His personality is something I am pretty fond of, and his skills are quite good too. The only reason why I usually don't take him along is that I don't use many fighter-type classes. Anomen and myself are usually all that I need... and sometimes a third, most recent it was Mazzy.

As for a useless thief... well, Jan is still around too.
It's a shame that the best classes are evil characters: Edwin, 18 intelligence, Viconia, 18 wisdom, Korgan, well, just one heck of a fighter. :p

But all in all, I don't tend to use many fighters. I absolutely (apparently) adore clerics and their spells. So finding a team full with them isn't really a surprise. Especially when I'm my favorite class, (Ranger/Cleric) I don't need an extra fighter-type class. But then again, with a Ranger/Cleric, I don't need a druid either - Ranger/Clerics can cast druidic spells.

N00byStance

I remember how hard it was for me to kill Firkraag first time I played that game, but yesterday it was like 5 minutes and he was down :p

I play as a Sorcerer, in my team I have Jan (that gnome pwnz :D), Minsc, Jaheira, Sir Anomen and... Yoshimo, but I'm thinking about switching him to Kheldorn before sailing to Spellhold, because I heard somewhere he's a traitor... And I must find one free slot for Imoen, I think, because it would be rude to do not her in once she's freed :p

Fladian

Focused on fighter types, N00by?

Jan is a great character... but gets boring if you use him in every game...
Well, if you never knew the whole story about Yoshimo, then I won't spoil anything. But if you want to take him along anyway, you'll find that he can be replaced by Imoen, if necessary. So instead of Keldorn, you could take Imoen. I'm still not sure why, but I usually have Imoen with me at just about any time.

I was shocked to face the Shadow Dragon for the first time when I played the game. I followed my brother in the game, and I knew a thing or two about what I could expect. I heard him tell about dragons before, but I never saw him face one before. It remains hilarious to read in their profile though: "Strongest enemy defeated: Firkraag" (the only Dragon name I managed to remember) in Jan or Aerie's profile. :p

On what kind of 'level' do you play? I mean, 'easy,' 'hard,' 'core-rules,' etc. Not the level of the NPC's. :p

Xeridanus

You (Flad) would like oblivion, you can be just about any class you want, down to a fine detail. im a sneaky-bastard assassin/sniper :yay: . i was absolutely distraught when i ran out of arrows, i usually pick up enough to keep me going. i guess im fighting the wrong kind of bad guys. i am skilled enough in blade to get by though. sneaky enough to get up real close and sink that dagger in real deep. im at 100 (skill level) for marksman, alchemy and sneak (about 65 for blade). i've gained the ranks of Grey Fox, Listener of the Black Hand, Arena Champion and Arch-Mage (the rest are not worth mentioning) and i've only just started on the main quest, hehehe. Im level 25ish, i can't remember exactly. oh yeah, im also a vampire and not about to change any time soon.

Fladian

I've heard (and seen) Oblivion before, and I can't say that I would dislike it. If I had the chance (and time) I would probably try it. Unfortunately, I do not posses any of the earlier two I just mentioned... well, except the time. I don't have any plans today, my week ended up as a big success, so there is nothing I have to fall back to - like I usually have to during weekends. Well, except that I need to think of a good excuse for my boss for not telling him his favorite footbal club played and I was there. :p ("You never told me you were playing in the match, Ed.", "Why blame me? I didn't know I played in it either.")

*uhhum*
Anyway, I am currently waiting for the next Football Manager ('07). The features make me drool, and I have been playing them for years now, eventually becoming one of my favorite games of all times.
Regardless, those few games I still have installed are probably going to collect dust some time soon. At least it gives me the time to write. :p

N00byStance

Fighter types? No, no, besides my sorcerer has Strenght = 18, and condition nearly similar :p My character & Jan do the spell job, and then go to melee fight :) I don't know the plot with Yoshimo, but I considered exchange even before, when I haven't read about him yet. Anyway, it's too late :] I gave Keldorn Carsomir and he isn't bad, at least not worse than Yoshi.

I am playing on Easy (I think), second difficulity (first is Very Easy, I think).

Werbung:

Fladian

Well, I meant with fighter-types actually the people who take the front line to fight. Jan is not an example of that, of course. I was mostly referring to characters as Minsc or Keldorn to use two wild examples. Anomen and Jaheira would fit the example nicely too. Aerie and Jan are not really the people I was referring to, to name examples.
I have my doubts in what categorie to place Haer'Daelis (sp?).

Easy, eh? Ah, alright. But if I'm not mistaking, it's: Easy - Normal - Core Rules - Hard - Insane. I'm currently playing on 'hard.' I never finished the game on the highest. The 'bosses' in ToB prove to be too strong for me on Hard already, so... but then again, I only finished ToB once.
I am interesting in using my 'best' team (and my Ranger/Cleric) on hard to try and finish the entire ToB, including Watcher's Keep (which definitely earns its reputation).